Old 22-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Dave Wheeler

Default Shubunkin size

My pond's hitting 1 year old next month and I'm in my first summer of
enjoying all the plants and wildlife that it's attracted. At the moment I
have 5 blue shubunkin, 2 koi, a couple of orfes and about a million
stickleback. I knew the koi would grow but my concern is the shubunkin's
growth, 2 of them have gone from around 4 inches to around 8 inches in less
than 4 months and I was wondering what size they generally get to and how
quickly? I'm already looking at the garden and planning a pond extension in
my head but I would like to get an idea of when to start the groundwork on
my girlfriend.

Thanks for any info.

Old 22-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Dave Wheeler" wrote in message
My pond's hitting 1 year old next month and I'm in my first summer of
enjoying all the plants and wildlife that it's attracted. At the moment I
have 5 blue shubunkin, 2 koi, a couple of orfes and about a million
stickleback. I knew the koi would grow but my concern is the shubunkin's
growth, 2 of them have gone from around 4 inches to around 8 inches in

less
than 4 months and I was wondering what size they generally get to and how
quickly? I'm already looking at the garden and planning a pond extension

in
my head but I would like to get an idea of when to start the groundwork on
my girlfriend.

Thanks for any info.

=========================
I just sold some Shubunkins and Sarassas that were close to a foot long,
tails included. They can get large.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 22-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Bonnie NJ

My orfes are at least 12-15". What size are your's Kathy?

--
Bonnie
NJ
"Dave" wrote in message
Now you've got me worried, those dainty wee fish become monsters at some
point?

link.net...

Old 22-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Dave" wrote in message
Now you've got me worried, those dainty wee fish become monsters at some
point?

==================
Only if your pond is kept in good condition and they're well fed and
healthy.

Old 23-07-2005, 02:08 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
link.net...
The orfes will get larger than the shubunkins!

=====================
Good grief! I'm glad you mentioned that as I've been tempted to purchase a
few when I see them at the fish store.....

Old 28-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Dave,

The Shubunkin will get any where from 8 to 12 inches in length. You didn't
comment on the size of your pond, but if you sticklebacks start growing yoiu
are going to over stocked pretty quickly, unless, of course, you have a
20,000 gallon pond.

Tom L.L.