Old 23-07-2005, 01:49 AM
Lar

Default veggie filter ????

Have a new 275 gallon pond where I have the pump, pump through a
bulkhead in a 25 gallon tub..where I have an A/C filtering material at
the bottom of the tub and above the bulkhead...above the filtering
material I have the plants at different levels in the water...no soil,
then the water spills over on to a small waterfall. Will this suffice or
will it depend on the plants or will a layer of soil and gravel creating
a bog be better for the filter. TIA

a pic is at
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/100_7258.JPG
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Old 23-07-2005, 01:55 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Lar" wrote in message
Have a new 275 gallon pond where I have the pump, pump through a
bulkhead in a 25 gallon tub..where I have an A/C filtering material at
the bottom of the tub and above the bulkhead...above the filtering
material I have the plants at different levels in the water...

## How will you clean the filter material when it's dirty or clogged?
You'll have to remove the plants.

no soil,
then the water spills over on to a small waterfall. Will this suffice or
will it depend on the plants or will a layer of soil and gravel creating
a bog be better for the filter. TIA

## People do it different ways and it works for them. I have a combination
settling tank-veggie filter with a bottom drain. It contains no filtering
material. Filter material is in the regular filter on the other side of the
pond.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 23-07-2005, 04:18 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We have only veggie filters in small ponds that have bottom drains. No
filters. The plant roots make great mechanical filters. We drain the
veggie filters annually. Also, we have a 'deep well' (think old septic
tank) in the middle of the pond. When the koi swim, they stir the muck
and the larger things like pine cones and needles eventually go into it.
Once a year, I clean it with a swimming pool net.

The rule of thumb is 10% of the surface area of the pond for the veggie
filter. you are close. Does the bulkhead pull from the side or the
bottom? If the side, you will still have to deal with solids that fall
in the pond.

Good luck.

Jim

Old 23-07-2005, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:49:41 -0500, Lar wrote:

Have a new 275 gallon pond where I have the pump, pump through a
bulkhead in a 25 gallon tub..where I have an A/C filtering material at
the bottom of the tub and above the bulkhead...above the filtering
material I have the plants at different levels in the water...no soil,
then the water spills over on to a small waterfall. Will this suffice or
will it depend on the plants or will a layer of soil and gravel creating
a bog be better for the filter. TIA

a pic is at
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/100_7258.JPG

Very pretty. Doesn't look like those plants need soil or gravel to me, only
reason to use them is if the plants need support, but they look great to
me. Will it work? Water quality by testing with test kits are your best way
to really know. Beyond that we'd just be guessing. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
How to create a veggie filter inside a existing pond? John Ponds 3 13-04-2003 02:08 AM
Veggie Filter Plants Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 12 12-03-2003 08:11 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM