Old 23-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Shiva

Default Oak Leaves On Bareroots?

Got half my roses in and realized I had no pine straw--so I mounded oak
leaves on them to keep them moist until they get established. Since I
maintain a regular antifungal spray routine from late spring on, think
this will be okay? The only problem I can see is that there may be fungus
that overwintered in the oak leaves. I got them from around my azaleas and
the wooded area in the back. No signs of oak root fungus in these areas. I
plan to spray them down with a fine spray daily, and a soak for the roots,
and put medium pine bark mulch over the leaves after uncovering the bare
roots when they sprout. Thoughts?

Old 23-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Unique Too

"Shiva" writes:

Got half my roses in and realized I had no pine straw--so I mounded oak
leaves on them to keep them moist until they get established. Since I
maintain a regular antifungal spray routine from late spring on, think
this will be okay? The only problem I can see is that there may be fungus
that overwintered in the oak leaves. I got them from around my azaleas and
the wooded area in the back. No signs of oak root fungus in these areas. I
plan to spray them down with a fine spray daily, and a soak for the roots,
and put medium pine bark mulch over the leaves after uncovering the bare
roots when they sprout. Thoughts?

I used oak leaves to mound over my first bare roots and in one large bed in the
front. They worked fine for me. They do hold in a lot of moisture, more so
than the cypress mulch I normally use in the beds. I didn't notice an increase
in fungus when I used them. I've since read oak leaves will form a mat and not
let moisture through to the gound, but I've always found the soil very moist
underneath them.
The best part was the cost. The neighbors had raked and bagged the leaves from
their numerous oaks, all I had to do was drag them over and dump the bags.

Old 24-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Shiva

Unique Too wrote:

I used oak leaves to mound over my first bare roots and in one large bed

in the front. They worked fine for me.

Good to know, thanks for speaking up!

I've since read oak leaves will form a mat and not
let moisture through to the gound, but I've always found the soil very
moist underneath them.

Me too. We have so many that fall every year, I just can't see bagging
them and disposing of them when I need organic matter to enhance the soil,
and now can use them for mulching bare roots. I have them blown to the
back and under the Azaleas and onto the rose beds in the winter, then
mulch over them in the spring. I think the matting problem is partially
allieviated by fertilizing, since nitrogen helps break down the leaves. On
the good side, in the far back where I have had years of leaves blown, you
can sink to your ankles in a leaf/black soil mix that is truly heavenly.
Full of worms, too!

The best part was the cost. The neighbors had raked and bagged the

leaves from their numerous oaks, all I had to do was drag them over and
dump the bags.

Yep, there is that too. Here, we can blow them to the curb and let the big
City suckup machine get them, or bag them in clear bags and they are
hauled away. The vacuum thing is cool--a big truck comes and just sucks up
all the leaves in the street, and the mess is then composted and the city
sells the results. But I keep mine!