Old 15-05-2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gary Cahn

Default David Austin vs. Hybrid Teas

I've been growing HT roses exclusively for many years, and am
considering adding some David Austins for the first time. I was
wondering how the two types of roses compare in terms of reblooming?
My understanding is that I will get many fewer roses each year from
David Austins then I will get from a HT. Is that correct?

Thanks

Gary Cahn
Old 16-05-2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Gary Cahn" wrote in message
I've been growing HT roses exclusively for many years, and am
considering adding some David Austins for the first time. I was
wondering how the two types of roses compare in terms of reblooming?
My understanding is that I will get many fewer roses each year from
David Austins then I will get from a HT. Is that correct?

Thanks

Gary Cahn

Ah - not in my experience. I have 150 roses,
about 2/3 modern (FL, HT, grandiflora, David
Austin & other "shrubs"), the rest antiques, and I
haven't done careful (scientific) observation but ...

My "Pat Austin" reblooms at least as often as
most of my HT & other moderns. My "Teasing
Georgia" has incredible blooms. I think it
repeats a lot, but it's a large bush so it's hard to
tell. Other Austin roses don't bloom as much.

It's hard to make such generalizations about an
entire class of roses. I have a Bourbon ("Souvenir
de la Malmaison") that reblooms more than some
of my moderns, yet other Boubons bloom little.

If you like a particular David Austin rose, why
not try it?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 16-05-2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Anne Lurie

I'm not very good with roses, but my Graham Thomas rosebush is bigger than
any other 4 of them put together.

As for bloom, if we get adequate rain, it does not really stop blooming all
summer. (I'm on a well with sandy soil, so watering can be problematic.)

What is gardening, after all, except one really long experiment?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 17-05-2006, 10:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Your "Looking for a power sprayer" has been closed so I will answer
here. "O" rings are VERY standard. Search your Yellow Pages for "O"
rings, Seals, or "Parker" O rings, or Grainger.com or GOOGLE
McMaster-Carr or go to mcmaster.com and you can find tons of the
things. Measure, with a ruler that has sixteenths markings, the inside
and outside of the cavity your ring fell out of and buy that ring. It
will be 1/8" diameter or 1/16", buy one of each. Or take your sprayer
to Grainger or some similiar commercial parts supplier in your town and
they will fit it for you.
It will cost less than one dollar.
If you need further help leave another reply here.
Joe Till
Houston

Old 17-05-2006, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
I'm not very good with roses, but my Graham Thomas rosebush is bigger than
any other 4 of them put together.

As for bloom, if we get adequate rain, it does not really stop blooming
all summer. (I'm on a well with sandy soil, so watering can be
problematic.)

What is gardening, after all, except one really long experiment?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Hey, Anne - Nice to see you back around here.
I certainly agree with the "really long experiment".
Several of my friends think I have a green
thumb, despite my pointing out frequently that
I have tried many different types of plants and
even rose varieties that failed, and stick with
those that do well despite my "attentions".

I've had really good luck with several English
roses, not too good with other English roses -
namely Symphony, which has a gorgeous butter
yellow bloom but is a weak plant (both copies).
One my local nurseries that carries a lot of
roses really like the Austins for our area - hot,
with lots of sun.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8