Old 16-05-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
nanner

Default New Dawn doing well

I planted 2 New Dawn plants from Home Depot as my first attempt last
spring.. it made about 3 strong 8' vines on each plant. Now - hooray - they
are covered in new growth and lots of buds!!!

should i be pruning some of the new growth or the bushy looking parts
around the bottom? I don't know really what to do at this point - maybe i'll
post a photo.

thanks

Old 16-05-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"nanner" wrote in message
I planted 2 New Dawn plants from Home Depot as my first attempt last
spring.. it made about 3 strong 8' vines on each plant. Now - hooray - they
are covered in new growth and lots of buds!!!

should i be pruning some of the new growth or the bushy looking parts
around the bottom? I don't know really what to do at this point - maybe
i'll post a photo.

thanks

Are the "bushy looking parts" growing out
of the bud union or from below it?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 16-05-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
nanner

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"nanner" wrote in message
I planted 2 New Dawn plants from Home Depot as my first attempt last
spring.. it made about 3 strong 8' vines on each plant. Now - hooray -
they
are covered in new growth and lots of buds!!!

should i be pruning some of the new growth or the bushy looking parts
around the bottom? I don't know really what to do at this point - maybe
i'll post a photo.

thanks

Are the "bushy looking parts" growing out
of the bud union or from below it?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

i don't know what the "bud union" means but the bushy looking stuff is way
down at the base of the plant - the buds are a few feet higher

Old 17-05-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Alana Gibson

"nanner" wrote in message

I planted 2 New Dawn plants from Home Depot as my first attempt last
spring.. it made about 3 strong 8' vines on each plant. Now - hooray -
they
are covered in new growth and lots of buds!!!

should i be pruning some of the new growth or the bushy looking parts
around the bottom? I don't know really what to do at this point - maybe
i'll post a photo.

thanks

Are the "bushy looking parts" growing out
of the bud union or from below it?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

i don't know what the "bud union" means but the bushy looking stuff is way
down at the base of the plant - the buds are a few feet higher

Hi nanner!
A grafted rose means that a rose is joined to a the roots of another
rose that has sturdier, more vigorous roots resulting in what is called
a "bud union". It appears as a slightly enlarged knobby growth at or
near the base of the rose. If the bushy growth is from below this "bud
union" cut them off. If allowed to grow they would produce blooms of
whatever rootstock was used and eventually take over the plant so that
you would see no more of the rose blooms you paid for.

Prune now only to remove dead growth, wait till after spring flowering
to prune for shape or size control, but never prune a climber heavily.

Here is a link that you might find useful:
http://www.mc.edu/campus/users/nettl...ofaq-glos.html

Happy Growing
Alana

Old 17-05-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
nanner

"nanner" wrote in message

[...]

THANK YOU!! (caps intended!!) I appreciate your input. iam going to go
check it out now!!

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Sweet peas doing well. Too well? Ragnar United Kingdom 1 07-12-2011 05:11 PM
New tree not doing well Gus Gardening 2 13-05-2004 12:02 AM
It's not doing so well White Monkey Orchids 14 26-01-2004 07:51 PM
Plants not doing nearly as well as they used to François Arsenault Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 09-12-2003 10:02 PM
[IBC] red maple doing well Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 17-09-2003 03:12 PM