Old 07-06-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default lost rose blooms

We have a rose garden planted by previous owners of our home - they've
probably been growing for 10-20 years. They've produced incredibly beautiful
blooms, and my husband is meticulous about pruning, deadheading, feeding and
spraying. For some reason, last year one rose bush produced no blooms (but
otherwise looks perfectly healthy). This year, the rose bushes on either
side of it ALSO look like they're producing no blooms (yet look otherwise
healthy), and we're fearing that something is spreading from the original
plant. What might be causing this, and is there something we can do to
prevent our entire garden (we have about 50 rose bushes) from losing its
blooms?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

No expert here - but consider it might be leaching out the ground
or water table is rising or falling. Might try feeding them this year
and see if anything happens.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 07-06-2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 01:51:41 GMT, "chicagorose" u34858@uwe wrote:

...last year one rose bush produced no blooms (but
otherwise looks perfectly healthy). This year, the rose bushes on either
side of it ALSO look like they're producing no blooms (yet look otherwise
healthy), and we're fearing that something is spreading from the original
plant. What might be causing this...?

This most likely sounds to me like a pruning problem. If these are
once blooming older roses, the problem is that you could be cutting
off the growth that produces the blooms when you prune.

Once blooming roses bloom on the branches that are produced from the
previous season. The phrase used in the rose world is that this type
of rose blooms on 'old wood'.

These older once blooming varieties for this reason should only be
pruned in the summer after the bloom is over, and while there is still
a lot of growing season remaining.

Other things causing no blooming are not enough sunlight, poor
nutrition and general plant stress or the application of a Nitrogen
only lawn fertilizer (which causes leaf growth only).

Rest assured that there is no disease or pest that can cause the
problem you describe. It is not 'catching'.

Have a good one,

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Rose Plant Problem- Plenty of blooms - no leaves? YMC Gardening 1 18-01-2009 05:05 PM
how long to rose blooms last? [email protected] Roses 3 07-08-2007 11:20 AM
Rose bush - no blooms Phil Roses 5 20-09-2005 05:25 AM
No blooms on rose bush ? DXer Gardening 5 15-05-2004 04:02 PM
No Blooms on rose bush ? DXer Roses 1 10-05-2004 10:04 PM