Old 07-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Scopata Fuori

Default Messenger

I sprayed almost all my roses, including the minis, and the grouchy lone
rugosa (Pink Grootendurst), along with the peach and apple trees, with Eden
Bioscience's Messenger this afternoon.

I did set aside six potted minis, and one in a hanging basket, and did not
spray them at all, to compare with the seven identical ones that did get it.

I used a 5 gallon Rocket Sprayer (Sam's Club, about $110) and two packets of
Messenger. It calls for one .25 ounce packet per 2 to 3 gallons, so I put
two in the five gallon tank. I also sprayed the peach and apple trees.

The day was perfect for spraying, no wind, and overcast, although not
threatening to rain. I was concerned that this might burn the leaves, so I
wanted an overcast day. It is almost odorless, and dries quickly, and
dissolves instantly, as it is very finely granulated.

I will post the results....!

Scopata Fuori

Old 07-05-2003, 05:08 AM
dave weil

On Tue, 6 May 2003 19:16:54 -0400, "Scopata Fuori"
wrote:

I sprayed almost all my roses, including the minis, and the grouchy lone
rugosa (Pink Grootendurst), along with the peach and apple trees, with Eden
Bioscience's Messenger this afternoon.

I don't think that you're supposed to spray rugosas. I know that my
red Grootendorst (FW, I think) severely spots if it even gets a *hint*
of spray, and if it gets any significant overspray from an adjacent
bush, it definitely freaks out and starts dropping leaves left and
right.

I don't know if Messenger counts because I don't know what the heck it
is...

Old 07-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Cass

wrote:

I sprayed almost all my roses, including the minis, and the grouchy lone
rugosa (Pink Grootendurst), along with the peach and apple trees, with Eden
Bioscience's Messenger this afternoon.

I don't think that you're supposed to spray rugosas. I know that my
red Grootendorst (FW, I think) severely spots if it even gets a *hint*
of spray, and if it gets any significant overspray from an adjacent
bush, it definitely freaks out and starts dropping leaves left and
right.

I don't know if Messenger counts because I don't know what the heck it
is...

My rugosa dropped all its leaves when I tried to foliar feed. Jerk.

Messenger is supposed to be an immunity booster, if I read the stuff
right.

I did set aside six potted minis, and one in a hanging basket, and did not
spray them at all, to compare with the seven identical ones that did get it.

I used a 5 gallon Rocket Sprayer (Sam's Club, about $110) and two packets of
Messenger. It calls for one .25 ounce packet per 2 to 3 gallons, so I put
two in the five gallon tank. I also sprayed the peach and apple trees.

The day was perfect for spraying, no wind, and overcast, although not
threatening to rain. I was concerned that this might burn the leaves, so I
wanted an overcast day. It is almost odorless, and dries quickly, and
dissolves instantly, as it is very finely granulated.

I will post the results....!

Please do. I've read one rosarian say it didn't do jack, but he's a
grouch.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Shiva

On Tue, 06 May 2003 23:06:59 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

I don't think that you're supposed to spray rugosas. I know that my
red Grootendorst (FW, I think) severely spots if it even gets a *hint*
of spray, and if it gets any significant overspray from an adjacent
bush, it definitely freaks out and starts dropping leaves left and
right.

I was told that about my Hansa rugosa hybrid, too. I have never
sprayed it. It has just finished blooming, and is commencing to make
great big ugly yellow-green basals that will join the rest of the
plant in looking ugly and being bloomless the rest of the season, if
it is anything like last year. It is starting to look like a weed.

Sorry, Larry. To each his own! One more year and Hansa will make room
for some hybrid teas or floribundas.