Old 18-05-2003, 12:32 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Climber suggestions

Im not sure what zone Im in, I've not paid a great deal of attention to this
to some of my plants demise. But winters get down to about 13f (rarely,
usually about 25 to 35f), and summers can heat up to as much as 119f (in the
worst situation). I basically live in Southern California, in the high
desert at 3600 feet.

Okay, Im looking to plant something that will cover my chain link fence
around my property, I dont care about color, fragrence would be nice, and
looking for something quick, that will cover an area of growth in one year
or so. I really want to cover up the ugly chainlink fence, preferably this
season. Is this too much to ask of a rose?

I have one climber (2 if you count the one that was packaged as a non
climber but turned into one anyway), and it's fine all summer and winter and
shows great gowth, but it took two years or more to get where it is now, and
thats not quick enough, again, am I asking too much?

Any suggestions of fragrant quick climbers? The chain link fence is only
31/2 feet tall, so Im not looking for something to climb 19 feet tall, but
rather that will handle growing 19 feet wide, along a fence line like my
grape plants do.

Thanks,

Old 18-05-2003, 04:08 PM
dave weil

On Sat, 17 May 2003 23:28:56 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

[...]

One year might be a little optimistic.

Go here to see *my* ugly fence. This is at the beginning of the third
season.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...es/image21.htm

On your left, the blooming bush is Old Blush (Cl). On the right, the
non-blooming bush is The Fairy (Cl). The fence is also a short one,
around 4 feet tall. The length is about 25 feet or so.

By planting like this, you have a really early bloom from Old Blush
(which is always the first to bloom here in Zone 6b). Just as it
begins to fade, The Fairy starts to bloom. Right now, Old Blush is
faded and The Fairy is full-blown. The Fairy will bloom sporatically
throughout the season as will The Fairy, although The Fairy hasn't
done a lot in the previous two seasons after the first flush, if I
remember correctly.

The first year showed some decent coverage, but the second year is
when the plants really take off. This third season has shown a lot
ofnew growth and thickening as well. If you're planning to plant now,
don't really count this as a full season. Add another year to your
calculations.

PS, this isn't a fragrance solution, just a color and coverage one.

Also, these plants get lots of sun. Sun from morning until around 4 in
the afternoon.

Old 19-05-2003, 04:32 AM
dave weil

On Sun, 18 May 2003 10:13:31 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

By planting like this, you have a really early bloom from Old Blush
(which is always the first to bloom here in Zone 6b). Just as it
begins to fade, The Fairy starts to bloom. Right now, Old Blush is
faded and The Fairy is full-blown. The Fairy will bloom sporatically
throughout the season as will The Fairy, although The Fairy hasn't
done a lot in the previous two seasons after the first flush, if I
remember correctly.

This should read "Old Blush will bloom sporatically throughout the
season, as will The Fairy..."