Old 23-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Roger

Default Where? Is best source of roses?

I guess by nature, I am a complainer, so here goes.

Two year ago I decided I needed some yellow roses, to go with my 23
other color Roses.

So, where would you go to get a yellow rose- -Texas or course. They
even wrote a song about it "Yellow Rose of Texas".

I went to my local discounter and bought three different yellow roses.
A Kings Ransom, Golden Showers, and another I don't remember the name.
They were bare root 1 1/2, orgin Tyler Texas.

What I got was two white (believe to be Ice Berg) and one Red(believed
to be Christian Dor).

This year I decided to forget the "discounter", and not to be a
cheap-skate and buy number ones.

SSSSoooooooo, I went early, for the best selection. I picked two of
the best #1, bare root, Kings Ransoms. I brought them home potted
them and kept them in the basement until Spring sprung.

I transplanted them and now they are flurishing, with nice folage and
large Pink/orange blooms (believe to be Chicago Peace). Their origin
too was Tyler Texas.

My question is; How can a place that bills it's self as "The Rose
Capitol of America" do business this way. And how do Nurseries that
sell this "Stuff" cope with it's customers.

Sure,I could dig them up and take them back- -but they know I won't.
I guess that makes me part of the problem.

Any suggestion to the best source for roses would be appreciated.

Have a good day. .Roger
Old 23-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Zack Lau

Hi Roger,

I'd suggest buying potted roses that are in bloom.
This way you can be absolutely sure the blooms are
yellow--no surprises.

Zack Lau W1VT

Old 23-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Shiva

Roger wrote:

I guess by nature, I am a complainer, so here goes.

If so, you certainly set yourself up for enjoying your hobby by buying
your roses at the worst possible place. People who buy roses at the box
stores deserve what they get. You get what you pay for. Bagged bare
root "Tyler Texas" roses were on sale at Home Depot, Lowes, and KMart for
$3.99 to $7.99 in my area. Why? Because at least 50% of their roots have
been cut off and they are not generally grade 1 roses.

Order your bare root roses online from reputable distributors like S&W
Greenhouse or reputable nurseries like Edmund's, Ashdown, or Jackson and
Perkins. Or, from decent local garden centers and nurseries. You will pay
$13 to $20 but you will receive big healthy bare roots, and if not they
will usually replace them.

Where you are is important, too. I like to order from places closest to me
because the roses will not be in transit as long. Also there are
considerations like what rootstock they are grafted onto, as some are
better for cold weather and some for warmer climates.

Go to KMart for your cotton balls and underwear, not your roses.

Old 23-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Ol' Thornfinger

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.08006e33623dc783da4c743a6d1e760e @1053700808.cotse.net...
Roger wrote:

I guess by nature, I am a complainer, so here goes.

If so, you certainly set yourself up for enjoying your hobby by buying
your roses at the worst possible place. People who buy roses at the box
stores deserve what they get. You get what you pay for. Bagged bare
root "Tyler Texas" roses were on sale at Home Depot, Lowes, and KMart for
$3.99 to $7.99 in my area. Why? Because at least 50% of their roots have
been cut off and they are not generally grade 1 roses.

Order your bare root roses online from reputable distributors like S&W
Greenhouse or reputable nurseries like Edmund's, Ashdown, or Jackson and
Perkins. Or, from decent local garden centers and nurseries. You will pay
$13 to $20 but you will receive big healthy bare roots, and if not they
will usually replace them.

I would reccommend Chamblee's.
http://www.chambleeroses.com
Good prices and great roses.
Austin's are 9.95 the rest are 7.95.
They are also in Texas...!
Just got a Cherokee and a Belinda's Dream
from them a couple weeks ago...

Old 23-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 23 May 2003 13:01:27 GMT, Roger wrote:

I went to my local discounter and bought three different yellow roses.
A Kings Ransom, Golden Showers, and another I don't remember the name.
They were bare root 1 1/2, orgin Tyler Texas.

P.S.--I forgot to mention that I get sucked into buying the 'Mart
roses each and every year, so I know what the hell I am talking about!

2 out of 3 bagged roses have been mislabeled, for me.

Potted roses are a safer bet--still cheap, but blooming so you can see
what you get.

This year it was two Circus roses--that are now leaping out of their
pots. I lucked out and got some healthy ones.

Old 23-05-2003, 09:56 PM
torgo

Roger - I regularly "rescue" the poor bagged things too (I brought
home 20 of them this year) and while very few of this year's refugees
appear to have been mislabeled, it certainly does happen - OFTEN.

It's sometimes known as "rose roulette" or "Forrest Gump Roses" - you
never know just what you're going to get. Most of the cheapo brands
come from Tyler or Lindale, Texas, so consider that a warning label
rather than a mark of quality.

Also keep in mind that although they are bargains now, it will take at
least one year of care (and probably two) for them to "catch up" with
the larger, already established and higher quality potted roses that
are otherwise available. Paying an extra 15-20 bucks to save yourself
the extra year is usually the best bet.

If you want to get a yellow rose from Texas, ordering from Chamblee as
Thorny suggested is probably your best source. It's also a good time
of year for browsing local nurseries - not the hardware stores, but
the REAL nurseries and garden shops. Many of those now have 3 and 5
gallon potted roses in stock. (If you like bargain hunting, the
clearance sales will probably start around late June.)

Old 25-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

Roger wrote:
[...]

www.edmundsroses.com