Old 25-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Huskies4all

Default It's almost bloomed!

Ok, I put up pictures of varying quality on a geocities page of "Lemmon's
Immortal"

She's ALMOST there!

http://www.geocities.com/huskies4all...simmortal.html

CJ
Old 26-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Cass

In article , Huskies4all
wrote:

Ok, I put up pictures of varying quality on a geocities page of "Lemmon's
Immortal"

She's ALMOST there!

http://www.geocities.com/huskies4all...simmortal.html

Ah ah ah, damn. No flowers yet. I can't wait either. Interesting that
it is blooming on new wood this year. Take note. Great looking foliage.
Blooms ooks white.....
Old 28-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Huskies4all

In article ,
says...
In article , Huskies4all
wrote:
http://www.geocities.com/huskies4all...simmortal.html

Ah ah ah, damn. No flowers yet. I can't wait either. Interesting that
it is blooming on new wood this year. Take note. Great looking foliage.
Blooms ooks white.....

Now we have flowers! Click again!

The flowers ARE paler than those on the parent bush, but that bush is on
the east side of a house, and my start is in a south facing foundation
planter. Otherwise, form, and the basic color are the same. Also, for
some reason my digital camera isn't capturing the yellow as well as it
could. It is lighter than the pictures of the parent bush, but it's not
showing up in the pictures of my new blooms.

I think it's blooming on old wood. Neither of the "suckers" are
blooming, only the stalks that were already there. The budeyes swelled,
and that's where all the buds came from. It looks like there are no real
new canes coming from the old wood, only a few leaves and flowers.

CJ
Old 29-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Cass

In article , Huskies4all
wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article , Huskies4all
wrote:
http://www.geocities.com/huskies4all...simmortal.html

Ah ah ah, damn. No flowers yet. I can't wait either. Interesting that
it is blooming on new wood this year. Take note. Great looking foliage.
Blooms looks white.....

Now we have flowers! Click again!

The flowers ARE paler than those on the parent bush, but that bush is on
the east side of a house, and my start is in a south facing foundation
planter. Otherwise, form, and the basic color are the same. Also, for
some reason my digital camera isn't capturing the yellow as well as it
could. It is lighter than the pictures of the parent bush, but it's not
showing up in the pictures of my new blooms.

Yes, I'm not getting any yellow at all. Foliage reminds me of
something. Long John Silver.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...JohnSilver.jpg

LJS is a hybrid setigera, i.e. a hybrid of a native American species
rose dating from 1934 by Horvath. So some of the hybrid setigeras are
Baltimore Belle http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=32137 and a
bunch of roses bred by Samuel Feast in the 1840's.

But I don't see anything pre-Horvath that could be yellow. One is
cream...

I think it's blooming on old wood. Neither of the "suckers" are
blooming, only the stalks that were already there. The budeyes swelled,
and that's where all the buds came from. It looks like there are no real
new canes coming from the old wood, only a few leaves and flowers.

It's just a baby. Betcha get lots of new basals this summer that will
bloom next year. So your job is to facilitate new growth and early
dormancy (don't fertilize late) so it has a good winter. Looks like you
got a keeper.

When the canes get a little more mature and a little longer, you should
add a shot of the prickles on the canes not from the top but shooting
horizontally. Same with the buds. That way you'll have a good record of
the size and shape of the receptacle, which is sometimes the only thing
to really distinguish roses that look a lot alike. Also take a picture
of all stages of the bloom, from just open to fully blown. You're gonna
be down on the ground like a snake shooting these shots.

No scent? Also, rub the buds to see if they leave a resinous scent on
your fingers. Try to get a closeup of the buds, showing any little
prickles all over them. They might be smooth, but it looks like there
might be tiny glands. All that stuff is clues. A real pro like Phillip
Robinson can tell the difference between roses that I think are the
same even after seeing plants sides by side. The key is always one
distinguishing factor - scent or no scent, size, color or shape of
prickles, larger receptacle. Remember we're trying to distinguish among
brothers and sisters, so very small differences count.