Old 11-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Cass

Default It's almost bloomed! - better pic

In article , Cass
wrote:

In article , Huskies4all
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Ah ah ah, damn. No flowers yet. I can't wait either. Interesting that
it is blooming on new wood this year. Take note. Great looking foliage.
Blooms ooks white.....

Ok, I finally got my digital to take a pic with some of the yellow in it.
It's still a bit darker yellow, and a bit more "peachy" than the pic
shows, but at least you get some idea of the color.

http://myweb.cableone.net/fattig/6-7-03blooms.jpg
The other page is http://www.geocities.com/huskies4all

Now we're getting somewhere!

So help me out here. This rose dates from when? Did you say it came by
the wagon on the Oregon Trail?

Okay, one rose suggested by two eminent rosarians is Soleil d'Or. One
hallmark of Soleil d'Or is blackspot. Of course, in eastern Idaho, you
probably never have to worry about that. But if you see it, you might
be close to an identification.

Here's a shot at Bob Bauer's website:
http://www.rose-roses.com/rosepages/...SoleilDOr.html

Bob's shot looks pretty saturated (but what do I know?), and I know
your rose looks a bit lighter.

Anyway, you can read a fair amount about this road at HelpMeFind. Click
on the References link.

--
-=-
Cass
Old 12-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Huskies4all

In article ,
says...
Bob's shot looks pretty saturated (but what do I know?), and I know
your rose looks a bit lighter.

Anyway, you can read a fair amount about this road at HelpMeFind. Click
on the References link.

Sweet. This looks very promising. The color is lighter in my specimen,
but I really think that's because it's in full sun from a little after
sunrise to about an hour before sunset. The timeframe is close, she
would have had to have purchased the rose fairly near it's beginning.
The only thing that is different is that HelpMeFind lists the rose as
reblooming, but afaik, my rose does not. I guess we'll find out for
sure, right?

You know how family legends are...Just because I heard it came on the
wagon train doesn't necessarily mean it's true! Also, I discovered from
my grandmother recently that the original bush my GGM planted was
destroyed by her husband when she died. He tore out all of her roses,
because every time he looked at them, they reminded him of her. The
"parent bush" I got the digging off of was a start she gave to my other
GGM.

The range of colors on this little girl is amazing. It went from almost
white to yellow with a hint of peach, to a fairly significant pink. I
didn't get a shot of that one, dang it. Oh, and the new sucker...er...
Basal Cane :-) *is* beginning to put out buds.

CJ
Old 12-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Cass

In article , Huskies4all
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Bob's shot looks pretty saturated (but what do I know?), and I know
your rose looks a bit lighter.

Anyway, you can read a fair amount about this road at HelpMeFind. Click
on the References link.

Sweet. This looks very promising. The color is lighter in my specimen,
but I really think that's because it's in full sun from a little after
sunrise to about an hour before sunset. The timeframe is close, she
would have had to have purchased the rose fairly near it's beginning.

She didn't have to purchase immediately after release. Within the first
15 or 20 years is early, too. Apparently greengrocer drove around with
their wares in the back of a wagon, selling door to door in rural
areas. And with that stuff, or maybe a different salesman, went roses.
We know around here that tea roses were sold all up and down the old
roads because some pretty unusual (now) things are in a lot of
farmhouse yards.

The only thing that is different is that HelpMeFind lists the rose as
reblooming, but afaik, my rose does not. I guess we'll find out for
sure, right?

Yes, and the scent. It's supposed to be pretty distinctive. How do
those flowers smell? And something a bit odd is the size of the old
bush. How big is that beast? 8 feet or something, did you say? Or 5
feet?

You know how family legends are...Just because I heard it came on the
wagon train doesn't necessarily mean it's true!

People still traveled by horse and buggy then, tho they liked to take
the train on really long trips.

Also, I discovered from
my grandmother recently that the original bush my GGM planted was
destroyed by her husband when she died. He tore out all of her roses,
because every time he looked at them, they reminded him of her. The
"parent bush" I got the digging off of was a start she gave to my other
GGM.

Soleil d'Or is supposed to sucker like crazy. Sharing would be easy.

The range of colors on this little girl is amazing. It went from almost
white to yellow with a hint of peach, to a fairly significant pink. I
didn't get a shot of that one, dang it. Oh, and the new sucker...er...
Basal Cane :-) *is* beginning to put out buds.

So to find out if it reblooms, you should cut or snap off the spent
blooms. Since it's such a small plant, you don't need to do any of that
outward-facing-7 or 5- leave-leaflet stuff.

This is a very neat find. We're not sure yet what it is, but we might
be closing in on it.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Unique Too

Huskies4all writes:

Sweet. This looks very promising. The color is lighter in my specimen,
but I really think that's because it's in full sun from a little after
sunrise to about an hour before sunset. The timeframe is close, she
would have had to have purchased the rose fairly near it's beginning.
The only thing that is different is that HelpMeFind lists the rose as
reblooming, but afaik, my rose does not. I guess we'll find out for
sure, right?

What ever the name it is a beautiful rose!
In reading the references on HMF, I noted two things. One said the color was
lighter in cooler weather. Idaho would be cooler than Bobs location wouldn't
it? I also noticed at least one of the quotes said it did not rebloom.
Perhaps with good care it will repeat or maybe it's one of those roses who
reblooms sporadically? Because your rose bloomed while still so young, it may
rebloom for you. Doesn't it take longer for once bloomers to get started?
I don't have the answers, just food for thought.

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
better pic of weed and Shamrock FireBrick Lawns 7 04-08-2006 10:14 PM
It's almost bloomed! Huskies4all Roses 3 29-05-2003 05:21 AM
Finally, the bareroot bloomed Shiva Roses 6 04-04-2003 05:08 AM
Finally, the bareroot bloomed! Emil Roses 1 02-04-2003 09:32 PM