Old 19-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Jan

Default ground cover around roses

I have three rose bushes growing in a north section of my garden.
Tricky, but they have survived now for 7+ years. I have been trying,
with limited success, to grow creeping baby's breath as ground cover
around the roses. Sometimes the baby's breath makes it through the
winter, sometimes not. I am looking for ideas for ground cover in this
bed. Grass wants to take over. I also have to watch for rust and black
spot. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Regards,
Jan

Old 19-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Theo

Jan wrote in message ...
I have three rose bushes growing in a north section of my garden.
Tricky, but they have survived now for 7+ years. I have been trying,
with limited success, to grow creeping baby's breath as ground cover
around the roses. Sometimes the baby's breath makes it through the
winter, sometimes not. I am looking for ideas for ground cover in this
bed. Grass wants to take over. I also have to watch for rust and black
spot. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Regards,
Jan

Try growing 'Mother of Thyme'(Thymus Praecox). It's hardy to zone 3.
I just bought some from Logee's.
Old 21-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Jan

Thank's for the ideas. I do have creeping thyme in another part of my
garden and didn't even consider it for the rose bed. It would work
great to fill in the area.
Jan

Chris wrote:

(Theo) wrote in message . com...

Try growing 'Mother of Thyme'(Thymus Praecox). It's hardy to zone 3.
I just bought some from Logee's.

or Creeping Thyme (Thymus serpyllum) or any of the Creeping Mints.
Not only do they make a nice, fine textured groundcover, but they
release a heavenly scent when tread upon.
- Chris
---
http://www.sudairy.com/