Old 14-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Ozzie Nelson

Default Honor Rose

Before I take drastic action with my two Honor roses, can someone verify
that Honor has the tendency to produce weak stems that often are unable to
support the flowers above, especially after overhead watering?

I'm wondering if the weak stems are caused by something I'm doing wrong. The
two Honor roses in question are planted in full sun.

Thanks
Ozzie

Old 14-07-2003, 06:32 PM
elfa

In article , "Ozzie says...

Before I take drastic action with my two Honor roses, can someone verify
that Honor has the tendency to produce weak stems that often are unable to
support the flowers above, especially after overhead watering?

I'm wondering if the weak stems are caused by something I'm doing wrong. The
two Honor roses in question are planted in full sun.

Thanks
Ozzie

I've got one.....it's a JP planted last year and has been a major
disappointment. The few blossoms it produced drooped because they were too
heavy for the stems. I'm going to dig it out this week and replant it in a new
location in the yard I'm calling 'death row'. If it doesn't improve by next
season, it's history. The same goes for 'Sterling Silver' and a few others.

elfa
Zone 9

Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Ozzie Nelson

I like the flowers and color is just a pain in the butt to manage the plant.
I want something that is somewhat upright growth habit AND supports the
flower weight load. Perhaps it's a matter of pruning technique.

Ozzie

Old 14-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Ozzie Nelson wrote:
I like the flowers and color is just a pain in the butt to manage the
plant. I want something that is somewhat upright growth habit AND
supports the flower weight load. Perhaps it's a matter of pruning
technique.

I never had that problem when I grew Honor. Apparently phosphorus and
calcium in fertiliser can help strengthen footstalks.

I quite liked Honor for its superb white blooms, but it was always more
a 'quality over quantity' proposition. This season I'm trying Karen
Blixen instead.
Old 17-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Ozzie Nelson

I never had that problem when I grew Honor. Apparently phosphorus and
calcium in fertiliser can help strengthen footstalks.

I'm wondering if I applied too much fertilizer to cause the condition. My
other roses aren't behaving the same way, though.

I quite liked Honor for its superb white blooms, but it was always more
a 'quality over quantity' proposition. This season I'm trying Karen
Blixen instead.

I would like a white rose with a stronger scent. I'm not sure what would be
a good candidate for the hybrid Tea.

Ozzie

Old 17-07-2003, 06:06 AM
Mark. Gooley

"Ozzie Nelson" wrote:

I would like a white rose with a stronger scent. I'm not sure what would

be
a good candidate for the hybrid Tea.

JFK?

Mark., never grown it myself

Old 17-07-2003, 06:06 AM
Scopata Fuori

..org wrote:

I would like a white rose with a stronger scent. I'm not sure what

would
be
a good candidate for the hybrid Tea.

Full Sail...vigorous, leaves top to bottom, with a strong vanilla scent.

Scopata Fuori

"Bad Cat!"

Old 17-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Ozzie Nelson wrote:
I would like a white rose with a stronger scent. I'm not sure what
would be a good candidate for the hybrid Tea.

That's why I'm trying Karen Blixen. It's apparently the best white HT (
for flower form and fragrance) for decades. Easily said, since I don't
think it has much competition.

Old 18-07-2003, 06:42 AM
Susan Solomon

Have you been having a sudden hot weather spell? Could it be that they're
suffering from being underwatered? Perhaps they are wilting to the point of
buds flopping over? Did this happen last year? Are any of your other roses
acting this way?

I have been growing Honor for over 10 yrs, 2 diff. bushes, here in So Cal. I
love this rose! One of my best growing and blooming roses, stately, bushy,
healthy and beautiful, with frequent and abundant rebloom. Mine blooms in
both singles and small clusters of absolutely beautiful blooms. I have also
read that it prefers cooler climates. (I'm in zone 24, coastal Calif)

I also grow JFK, and am not pleased with it's scrawny growth and few, small
and malformed blooms. I will be replacing it next year.

I hope you can find out what's wrong with your bushes ... Good Luck!