Old 17-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Katie

Default Flower carpet roses

Does anyone have experience with flower carpet roses? I did a search on them
and couldn't find anything negative. They've been recommended to me by a
landscaper as low maintenance, natually disease resistant, prolific blooming
ground cover. Anyone know how these actually work in the landscape? Are they
a good plant? I'm in charge of renovating the landscape at the entrance to
our neighborhood and am considering this plant.

Thanks,
Katie
Montgomery County MD Zone 7

Old 17-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Mark. Gooley

"Katie" wrote:
Does anyone have experience with flower carpet roses? I
did a search on them and couldn't find anything negative.
They've been recommended to me by a landscaper as low
maintenance, natually disease resistant, prolific blooming
ground cover. Anyone know how these actually work in the
landscape? Are they a good plant? I'm in charge of renovating
the landscape at the entrance to our neighborhood and am
considering this plant.

A friend in Billings, Montana planted a mess of them and lost
them all. Then again, that was on a rocky slope with poor soil,
and she didn't water them regularly and long enough, I think, to
get them established. (Note that she was in the valley, which
is zone 5, not up on the Rims, which is zone 3; also note that
with drip irrigation when it's dry, roses do rather well in Billings,
what with the dry air most of the year and a relatively mild climate
in the valley due to the Yellowstone river.) Just to show you
that ANYTHING can be killed with neglect.

There are probably other ground-cover roses that would do as
well as the Flower Carpet variety -- might get a bit boring if
there are a lot of them.

Mark., now in zone 8b

Old 17-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Katie

"Mark. Gooley" wrote in message

There are probably other ground-cover roses that would do as
well as the Flower Carpet variety -- might get a bit boring if
there are a lot of them.

Mark., now in zone 8b

Thanks... the landscape plan includes other plants besides the carpet roses,
but they're plants I'm familiar with. I just didn't know anything about the
carpet roses. Thanks.

Katie

Old 18-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Katie wrote:
They've been recommended to me by a
landscaper as low maintenance, natually disease resistant, prolific
blooming ground cover.

True.

Anyone know how these actually work in the
landscape? Are they a good plant?

They work OK. Not overly pretty except maybe in a rockery situation. A
nightmare near paths or kids.

Are they a good plant?

Try walking through one!