Old 06-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Shiva

Default Roses That Love Heat

Distant Drums has turned out to be one of these, both
grafted and on its own roots. It thrives on less than
optimal water, too. Just a note for our hot-summer
gardeners.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Unique Too

I had just talked my self out of this one and now you go and post this. The
coloring sounds absolutely wonderful.
Ashdown's description of requiring good culture, along with a few messages on
GW discusing its lack of BS resistance helped me decide I didn't need it.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Gail Futoran

"Unique Too" wrote in message
I had just talked my self out of this one and now you go

and post this. The
coloring sounds absolutely wonderful.
Ashdown's description of requiring good culture, along

with a few messages on
GW discusing its lack of BS resistance helped me decide I

didn't need it.

Distant Drums has turned out to be one of these, both
grafted and on its own roots. It thrives on less than
optimal water, too. Just a note for our hot-summer
gardeners.

Let me add a Distant Drums recommendation. I
got one several years ago and since added two
more in different beds. The coloring is wonderful
but the scent is bizarre (can't describe it - sorry),
fortunately not carrying that far.

I haven't noticed any particular BS problems
but I don't usually see that a lot around here.
I do have some roses that get more BS than
others; Distant Drums isn't one of those.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 10-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Shiva

Unique Too wrote:

I had just talked my self out of this one and now you go and post this. The
coloring sounds absolutely wonderful.

It's a good one, it just pumps out the blooms when temps are in the 90s, even..
And, it LOOKS like its photos. If you find them delicious you will love this rose. It has the
funky myrrhish scent, but I like it. The buds are raspberry and caramel, honestly.
It makes a pretty cut rose, ruffly rather than high-centered, but you would
expect that in a shrub rose with Austin in it.

Ashdown's description of requiring good culture, along with a few messages on
GW discusing its lack of BS resistance helped me decide I didn't need it.

Well, you know I have no idea how it does in a no-spray garden.

Another one that will not stop blooming once it is ready to flush:
Don Juan. I know I go on and on about this one, but damn, it stays
true, true, clear, not Orange not Purple red, but RED. And smells
rosy, lightly but distinct. And nary a burnt edge. In weeks of daily
90s and nightly 70s. It is a great CUT flower, classic ht form, long
straight stems. Mine has gotten huge. Bob was right--no cane longer than
about 12 feet--but lots and lots of them, I have then looped over a chain
link fence, no method, just when a long cane is waving in the breeze I put
on a gauntlet glove and hook it somewhere. Beautiful, prolific, rose. My joy.

What is going on in your Florida garden?