Old 28-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Helen, EA in PA

Default Red roses on John F Kennedy and Sultry

Last year, I had small red roses branching off of my John F. Kennedy
rose (which we all know is white). This year, I have the same
branching off of my Sultry (which is more melon). The Sultry, I might
be able to understand, if it was hybirded with a red rose, but red and
white on the same bush? They share the same bed, but are at least 8
feet apart and none of the others are doing it, at least not yet!

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks!
Helen

Old 28-05-2005, 06:46 PM
JimS.

"Helen, EA in PA" wrote in message
ups.com...
Last year, I had small red roses branching off of my John F. Kennedy
rose (which we all know is white). This year, I have the same
branching off of my Sultry (which is more melon). The Sultry, I might
be able to understand, if it was hybirded with a red rose, but red and
white on the same bush? They share the same bed, but are at least 8
feet apart and none of the others are doing it, at least not yet!

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks!
Helen

Depending on where they're coming from....a possible explanation is that
you're seeing growth from the original rootstock, instead of the grafted
rose up top. Several popular rootstocks are red, such as Dr. Huey? That
could be it.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 28-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Gail Futoran

"JimS." wrote in message

[...]

Just to add to what Jim said: If your plants are
reverting, the more rigorous root stock will kill
off the scion in time. Cut out anything growing
below the bud union. It won't hurt the root stock
and will protect the scion (top part of the rose -
the part you want).

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 29-05-2005, 02:39 AM
Helen, EA in PA

Jim and Gail, thanks so much. The red shoots are coming out very low,
I'll look tomorrow and see if they are coming out below the bud union.

Helen