Old 03-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Gail Futoran

"Brendy" wrote [/QUOTE Thanks Gail,
I'll get started on checking out those websites.
I'm not going to rush it, I'll wait until I get the rose that I want.
Brendy

--
Brendy

That's a good idea. One word of warning: Don't
get your heart so set on the perfect rose that you'll
be discouraged when you can't find it, or you find
it, plant it lovingly, and the blasted thing dies anyway!
I have 150 roses and have probably lost half of
them to weather, disease, bugs in the soil, who
knows what. I learned to appreciate the varieties
that thrived, replace the varieties that didn't. There
are so many roses that I've always been able to
find a replacement close to the original (preferred)
variety. And of course you can always plant the
same variety again! I've done that a number of
times, too, more often than not successfully -
i.e., the second (or in some cases the third) copy
did considerably better than the first.

I suppose that experience is typical of gardening
in general. I've never been much of a gardener,
though, until I took up roses.

Gail

Old 04-07-2005, 04:01 PM
dave weil

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:13:43 +0000, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

Gail Futoran Wrote:
"Brendy" wrote Thanks Gail,

I'll get started on checking out those websites.[color=blue--
I'm not going to rush it, I'll wait until I get the rose that I want.
Brendy-

--
Brendy-

[/QUOTE Gail, I found "Ingrid Bergman" at "Apuldram Roses" It was one
of the web sites you gave me I tried around here in Northern Ireland
but she's hard to get. So this reputable company, will send out my
potted "Ingrids". It'a a company in England, so it'll only take a few
days to get here. No Hassle! This is such a handy service. I ordered
nine, and we'll see how it goes. You gave good advice in the last
post, so I'm just going to do my best and see what happens. As I said
in an ealier post once I get them planted I'll post a pic. Thanks
again for all your advice and info Brendy
[/color]

Don't expect anything this year. It's far too late for the rose to get
well established for the growing seasin since you're right in the
middle of growing season now. You MIGHT get a bloom or two if you're
lucky. This is the worst time to plant a rose, although, there in
Ireland, the summer might be milder. The problem is, by the time it
gets established (a couple of months), it'll be time for it to start
going dormant.

Even when I planted mine at the first opportunity of the year, and the
first year, I probably got three blooms the whole year. The second
year is when you'll see some good progress and the third year it
should take off. Remember though, it's only going to grow about 3 or 4
feet tall at the most (and it should be as wide as tall).

PS: I think it was me who sent those links.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:21 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:44:38 +0000, Brendy
wrote:
[i]

-

Gail Futoran Wrote:
"Brendy" wrote Thanks Gail,-
I'll get started on checking out those websites.[color=blue--
I'm not going to rush it, I'll wait until I get the rose that I want.
Brendy-

--
Brendy-

Gail, I found "Ingrid Bergman" at "Apuldram Roses" It was one

of the web sites you gave me I tried around here in Northern
Ireland
but she's hard to get. So this reputable company, will send out my
potted "Ingrids". It'a a company in England, so it'll only take a few
days to get here. No Hassle! This is such a handy service. I ordered
nine, and we'll see how it goes. You gave good advice in the last
post, so I'm just going to do my best and see what happens. As I said
in an ealier post once I get them planted I'll post a pic. Thanks
again for all your advice and info Brendy[/i[/colo
[/QUOTE Hi Gail, I got two big bags of manure yesterday. I'm going to
ready the soil for the roses. I'll make sure it's well mixed in, so
that all I have to do is plant the roses when they arrive. Thanks for
letting me know not to expect too much for a year or so, otherwise I'd
probably think I did somethein wrong. Once all the work is done, I'll
just enjoy them That's the best bit.

Ummmm, the name is dave, not Gail.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Gail Futoran

"dave weil" wrote
[snip]
[/QUOTE Hi Gail, I got two big bags of manure yesterday. I'm going to
ready the soil for the roses. I'll make sure it's well mixed in, so
that all I have to do is plant the roses when they arrive. Thanks for
letting me know not to expect too much for a year or so, otherwise I'd
probably think I did somethein wrong. Once all the work is done, I'll
just enjoy them That's the best bit.

Ummmm, the name is dave, not Gail.

LOL! Hey Dave. How are your roses doing?
We're in high 90s - 100 here, no rain for at least
a month and none in sight. Watering schedule
has moved to a spreadsheet. I'm watering
plants I usually don't bother with. The roses
are a top priority for watering, of course, and
so far they're doing fine.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:23:44 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote
[snip]
[/QUOTE Hi Gail, I got two big bags of manure yesterday. I'm going to
ready the soil for the roses. I'll make sure it's well mixed in, so
that all I have to do is plant the roses when they arrive. Thanks for
letting me know not to expect too much for a year or so, otherwise I'd
probably think I did somethein wrong. Once all the work is done, I'll
just enjoy them That's the best bit.

Ummmm, the name is dave, not Gail.

LOL! Hey Dave. How are your roses doing?
We're in high 90s - 100 here, no rain for at least
a month and none in sight. Watering schedule
has moved to a spreadsheet. I'm watering
plants I usually don't bother with. The roses
are a top priority for watering, of course, and
so far they're doing fine.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

I've been a baaaaad boy. I just haven't been into it this year. Benign
neglect has been the watchword this year and I'm hoping I don't lose
too many roses this year.

It's been a strange year for seasons here and I think it threw me off.
I'm not a natural-born gardener. I have to work at it. And this year,
I'm just not.