Old 29-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Registered User

Default Help please

I'm replanting, and I want to plant roses. I think red would be a nice colour. Can anyone give me the name of a red rose, (nice smelling) Or recommend one to me. I'm told it's better to plant just the one block of colour for the wow factor. Also any tips on how to control greenfly? Thanks alot Brendy
Old 30-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Gail Futoran

--
Brendy

Where are you? What kind of soil do you have?
Preferences for short or tall or inbetween plants?
Do you get the requisite 6 hours of sun daily or
something less.

Hybrid Tea form or something else? Modern or
old garden rose? There are literally hundreds of
red roses - without knowing more about your situation
and preferences, it's hard to recommend a rose.

Or go to
www.helpmefind.com
and do a search on roses by color. Maybe you'll
see something you like.

Alternatively, check local nurseries and/or botanic
gardens to find out what works best for your area.

Re planting one block: I have 150 roses and no
more than three copies of any one variety. So I
don't go with the "one block of color" approach,
but that's a personal choice.

Re greenfly: Sorry, don't get it, don't know how to
control it.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 30-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Gail Futoran

"Brendy" wrote
[/QUOTE Hi Gail, me again I'm in Newry, Northern Ireland so we have wet
weather here. Sunshine what's that! I checked out some of the
neighbours gardens to see how their roses are doing. They look good so
that means mine should do well too. Right? I've checked out some web
sites and I've decided to go for the hybrid tea rose. I like the look
of the "Ingrid Bergman" and it's a beautiful red colour. (You'd think
I knew what I was talking about) Now I have to find a garden centre
that sells it! I have 2nd and 3rd preferences as well, just in case.
I like "Blue Moon" and "Deep Secret" so here goes. Brendy.

--
Brendy

Hi Brendy -

Please send some of your cold wet weather here!
It's good to check out the neighbors and assume
you'll have similar conditions and similar success.

I've heard good things about "Ingrid Bergman"
although I've never grown it. A lot of people in
the States swear by "Mr. Lincoln". I had one, killed
it, but that was back when I didn't know what I was
doing with roses. Well, I still kill roses on occasion
but less out of ignorance. I think.

"Blue Moon" is one of my favorite roses but I've
not been able to keep one alive. It just doesn't
do well in local hot conditions. Well worth trying,
though, if you can find it.

I'm not familiar with "Deep Secret". Sometimes roses
aren't available here (USA) that are available in Europe
and vice versa. I wanted a rose called "Amazon" that
I saw in New Zealand years ago, but of course it's not
available in the States.

Good luck, and let us know what you finally buy.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 02-07-2005, 01:01 PM
dave weil

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:17:49 +0000, Brendy
wrote:
[color=blue][i]

Gail Futoran Wrote:
"Brendy"
wrote
Hi Gail, me again I'm in Newry, Northern Ireland so we have wet

weather here. Sunshine what's that! I checked out some of the
neighbours gardens to see how their roses are doing. They look good
so
that means mine should do well too. Right? I've checked out some
web
sites and I've decided to go for the hybrid tea rose. I like the
look
of the "Ingrid Bergman" and it's a beautiful red colour. (You'd
think
I knew what I was talking about) Now I have to find a garden centre
that sells it! I have 2nd and 3rd preferences as well, just in case.
I like "Blue Moon" and "Deep Secret" so here goes. Brendy.[/i

Ingrid Bergman IS nice. It's a low grower, so make sure that you plant
it in front of other plants. It really has a nice aroma as well.

Keep in mind that it DOES tend to blue a bit, as do a lot of really
deep red blooms. Also, the bloom size decreases dramatically in the
middle of the summer when it gets hot (although I don't know if you
get that sort of weather where you are). The nice thing about IB is
that it almost has a velvety looking texture to it. It's not a "shiny"
red, but a matte finish. It holds nicely in the vase.

I got mine from Edmunds Roses in Oregon, but since you're in the UK, I
can't help you out. Perhaps you could contact them at their website
and see if they know of an English distributor.

Actually, turns out that I CAN help you out.

Nashdom Lane
Burnham, Buckinghamshire SL1 8NJ
England
01628-603000 [Information]

http://www.apuldramroses.co.uk/

http://battersbyroses.8m.com/

http://www.rosesuk.co.uk/

Meadow Croft Cottage
Sponden Road
Dale Abbey, Derbyshire DE7 4PQ
England
Phone: 01332-668289 [Information]
01332-668289 [Fax]

http://www.jonestherose.co.uk/

http://www.cantsroses.co.uk/

http://www.countrygardenroses.com/

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/

That's enough to get you started.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Martin

You have two great sources of local advice:-

Rose Society of Northern Ireland:- http://www.rosemerald.co.uk

And local suppliers:-
Dickson Nurseries Ltd
42a Milecross Road
Newtownards
Co. Down BT23 4SS
Northern Ireland
Web site:- http://www.dickson-roses.co.uk

And of course don't forget the undersigned for some great rose news and
advice:-

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster
Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

Old 02-07-2005, 05:51 PM
dave weil

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:39:10 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

You have two great sources of local advice:-

Rose Society of Northern Ireland:- http://www.rosemerald.co.uk

And local suppliers:-
Dickson Nurseries Ltd
42a Milecross Road
Newtownards
Co. Down BT23 4SS
Northern Ireland
Web site:- http://www.dickson-roses.co.uk

And of course don't forget the undersigned for some great rose news and
advice:-

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster
Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

Jeez, you NEVER give up, do you?

BTW, you can't even post a link to a company that offers Ingrid
Bergman. What does that say about your ability to deliver a helpful
product? Is your web site full of such unhelpful stuff, or do you get
a kickback for just mentioning Dickson?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Gail Futoran

"Brendy" wrote [/QUOTE Thanks Gail,
I'll get started on checking out those websites.
I'm not going to rush it, I'll wait until I get the rose that I want.
Brendy

--
Brendy

That's a good idea. One word of warning: Don't
get your heart so set on the perfect rose that you'll
be discouraged when you can't find it, or you find
it, plant it lovingly, and the blasted thing dies anyway!
I have 150 roses and have probably lost half of
them to weather, disease, bugs in the soil, who
knows what. I learned to appreciate the varieties
that thrived, replace the varieties that didn't. There
are so many roses that I've always been able to
find a replacement close to the original (preferred)
variety. And of course you can always plant the
same variety again! I've done that a number of
times, too, more often than not successfully -
i.e., the second (or in some cases the third) copy
did considerably better than the first.

I suppose that experience is typical of gardening
in general. I've never been much of a gardener,
though, until I took up roses.

Gail

Old 04-07-2005, 04:01 PM
dave weil

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:13:43 +0000, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

Gail Futoran Wrote:
"Brendy" wrote Thanks Gail,

I'll get started on checking out those websites.[color=blue--
I'm not going to rush it, I'll wait until I get the rose that I want.
Brendy-

--
Brendy-

[/QUOTE Gail, I found "Ingrid Bergman" at "Apuldram Roses" It was one
of the web sites you gave me I tried around here in Northern Ireland
but she's hard to get. So this reputable company, will send out my
potted "Ingrids". It'a a company in England, so it'll only take a few
days to get here. No Hassle! This is such a handy service. I ordered
nine, and we'll see how it goes. You gave good advice in the last
post, so I'm just going to do my best and see what happens. As I said
in an ealier post once I get them planted I'll post a pic. Thanks
again for all your advice and info Brendy
[/color]

Don't expect anything this year. It's far too late for the rose to get
well established for the growing seasin since you're right in the
middle of growing season now. You MIGHT get a bloom or two if you're
lucky. This is the worst time to plant a rose, although, there in
Ireland, the summer might be milder. The problem is, by the time it
gets established (a couple of months), it'll be time for it to start
going dormant.

Even when I planted mine at the first opportunity of the year, and the
first year, I probably got three blooms the whole year. The second
year is when you'll see some good progress and the third year it
should take off. Remember though, it's only going to grow about 3 or 4
feet tall at the most (and it should be as wide as tall).

PS: I think it was me who sent those links.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Gail Futoran

"dave weil" wrote
[snip]
[/QUOTE Hi Gail, I got two big bags of manure yesterday. I'm going to
ready the soil for the roses. I'll make sure it's well mixed in, so
that all I have to do is plant the roses when they arrive. Thanks for
letting me know not to expect too much for a year or so, otherwise I'd
probably think I did somethein wrong. Once all the work is done, I'll
just enjoy them That's the best bit.

Ummmm, the name is dave, not Gail.

LOL! Hey Dave. How are your roses doing?
We're in high 90s - 100 here, no rain for at least
a month and none in sight. Watering schedule
has moved to a spreadsheet. I'm watering
plants I usually don't bother with. The roses
are a top priority for watering, of course, and
so far they're doing fine.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8