Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Gail Futoran

Default Water deeply once weekly

I used to follow this advice to the letter. That
was back when I had recently established
raised rose beds. Newly planted (the previous
fall or that spring), mostly bareroot roses did great
over winter and in cooler temps, started dropping
like flies in the high heat/sun. Eventually I lost
10 or 12 out of 16 roses planted in my first ever
rose bed.

Finally I checked with a local rosarian (we
happened to be in the same ladies' golf group
then) who looked at me like I was crazy and
said in that kind of heat she watered every other
day! And she breeds her own roses, so not
exactly an amateur.

Long story short: Whatever it says in the books
might well work in most conditions, but not at
the extremes (especially of heat) AND with
raised beds AND using a fairly lightweight soil.
(I also learned to add back in some clay.)

So if you live in a hot area and you can water
extra, do so.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 08-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Ben Boorman

Gail Futoran wrote:

[...]

Advice, ours included, only works for the person that writes it -
sometimes, maybe, if we're lucky and the river doesn't rise and hell
doesn't freeze over, etc etc etc
Old 09-07-2005, 04:13 AM
JimS.

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
[...]

I would add that watering once a week is NOT good advice for roses in big
pots, either. If I watered my potted roses once a week, they'd all be dead.
Hell, half of 'em end up that way anyway.

JimS.
Seattle

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 09-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Ben Boorman

JimS. wrote:
[...]

I had several in 20" pots that got drip watered daily. No troubles. I
used a special rose potting mix, Gardner & Bloome, to keep the drainage
going. When I used regular potting soil, dead dead waterlogged dead.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Gail Futoran

"JimS." wrote
I would add that watering once a week is NOT good advice for roses in big
pots, either. If I watered my potted roses once a week, they'd all be
dead. Hell, half of 'em end up that way anyway.

JimS.
Seattle

I'm glad you added that. I tend to water plants in
pots a lot more frequently (and gardening books
usually recommend that) and was mostly concerned
about roses in the ground, but my advice could
have been misconstrued. Thanks for the
clarification.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 11-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Gail Futoran

"Ben Boorman" wrote

I had several in 20" pots that got drip watered daily. No troubles. I
used a special rose potting mix, Gardner & Bloome, to keep the drainage
going. When I used regular potting soil, dead dead waterlogged dead.

I agree that a good potting soil is essential.
I use a Schultz potting soil that includes
moisture beads. I've discovered recently
that watering daily isn't required, despite temps
in the high 90s F. But I do have my potted
roses placed so that they get afternoon shade,
which probably helps reduce soil drying.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8