Old 08-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Gallica

Default chinas/teas in colder zones

Did any of you try Chinas or Teas in cold zones, with extra-ordinary
winter protection ? if you did, how did it turn-out ?
Old 08-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Brian E. Rice

I've grown Old Blush in zone 5b (Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA) for a few
winters now with some success. In the past, I've put burlap around it
and extra leaves as a mulch to help it get through. This year's
winter as been much colder than the last few and it's not over yet, so
it's much too early to tell how it faired.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Theo Asir

I grow old blush
hillingdon tea and parsons pink.
in zone 5 kansas city.

we have not experienced the -25f
cold that can come down here for
over 15 years. Coldest I've seen is
-10f this year.

roses can tolerate cold if they
are gradually allowed to acclamitize.
They tend to have problems with
wild fluctuations 60F one week.
10F the next.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 10-03-2003, 08:21 PM
clc

I'm with Brian - for those of us in those "colder" zones, it's still much
too early to tell.

Cheryl

Old 11-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Gallica

Thanks to both of you !

Brian, what kind of winter protection do you use for your China rose ?

Old 12-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Brian E. Rice

I put a fair amount of dead leaves around the base as a mulch and then
place cedar stakes in the ground around the plant and staple burlap to
the stakes. In the last few winters, then as worked reasonably well,
but this winter's been colder (low of -14F), so we'll just have to
wait and see.

On 11 Mar 2003 00:22:12 -0800, (Gallica)
wrote:

Thanks to both of you !

Brian, what kind of winter protection do you use for your China rose ?

Colder and colder Sacha[_4_] United Kingdom 37 07-01-2010 08:03 AM
Benefits of Aerated Compost Teas vs. Classic Teas? cat daddy Texas 0 03-04-2005 05:30 PM
Benefits of Aerated Compost Teas vs. Classic Teas? cat daddy Gardening 0 03-04-2005 05:30 PM
teas in cold zones Gallica Roses 0 08-03-2003 01:20 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM