Old 30-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Registered User

Default Tree identification

Hello

Can anyone here please help me identify this tree growing near my home in London?

I hope the images are clear enough to see...

These were taken today (30th April).

http://i40.tinypic.com/2a65o8w.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/jhx210.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2uo3vyg.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2diivwn.jpg

Thanks in advance
Old 30-04-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:12:33 +0100, james1
jamesjampot@g00glemaildotcom wrote:

Hello

Can anyone here please help me identify this tree growing near my home
in London?

I hope the images are clear enough to see...

These were taken today (30th April).

[image: http://i40.tinypic.com/2a65o8w.jpg]
[image: http://i43.tinypic.com/jhx210.jpg]
[image: http://i41.tinypic.com/2uo3vyg.jpg]
[image: http://i43.tinypic.com/2diivwn.jpg]

Thanks in advance

Can you post a close up of the leaves?

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 30, 3:12*pm, james1 jamesjampot@g00glemaildotcom wrote:
Hello

Can anyone here please help me identify this tree growing near my home
in London?

I think we can confirm that this is a tree, Jim, but not as we know
it.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1 View Post
Hello

Can anyone here please help me identify this tree growing near my home in London?

I hope the images are clear enough to see...

These were taken today (30th April).

http://i40.tinypic.com/2a65o8w.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/jhx210.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2uo3vyg.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2diivwn.jpg

Thanks in advance
The leaves are only just uncurling, and it may be better to wait a few days so you can get a picture of a mature leaf. Hopefully one will fall off, so we can see a clear picture of a fully formed leaf. There also seem to be some flowers about to come out, again would be nice to see what those look like when they come out.

From the bark, general pattern of the twigs, and approximate shape of the leaves, I'm thinking it might be walnut. They have a distinctive leaf notch at the base (see wikipedia on juglans regia), which we haven't the detail to make out, and should have catkin like flowers. But it could also be some kind of oak that doesn't have lobed leaves like English oak - there are 400 species of oak and they don't all have lobed leaves. And I'm sure there are other options.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
james1

Hard to tell at the moment, James. It looks as if it's about to flower.
Any chance of a picture showing the blossom?

Spider

Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes

"james1" jamesjampot@g00glemaildotcom wrote in message

Hello

Can anyone here please help me identify this tree growing near my home
in London?

I hope the images are clear enough to see...

These were taken today (30th April).

[image: http://i40.tinypic.com/2a65o8w.jpg]
[image: http://i43.tinypic.com/jhx210.jpg]
[image: http://i41.tinypic.com/2uo3vyg.jpg]
[image: http://i43.tinypic.com/2diivwn.jpg]

Thanks in advance

--
james1

Hard to tell at the moment, James. It looks as if it's about to flower.
Any chance of a picture showing the blossom?

Spider

It looks as if all the leaves and blossom are way up high where it's not
possible to get a good photograph.

I'd suggest Pyrus communis (pear) or Prunus avium (bird cherry), both of
which can get pretty big, but it's not easy to identify.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes

[...]

Yes, I was wondering about Pyrus, Stewart, but something else is nagging at
me and I can't place it. I know a flower pic will be tricky, but it was
worth the question.

Spider

Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 May, 11:49, echinosum
wrote:
james1;841837 Wrote:

Hello

Can anyone here please help me identify this tree growing near my home
in London?

I hope the images are clear enough to see...

These were taken today (30th April).

[image:http://i40.tinypic.com/2a65o8w.jpg]
[image:http://i43.tinypic.com/jhx210.jpg]
[image:http://i41.tinypic.com/2uo3vyg.jpg]
[image:http://i43.tinypic.com/2diivwn.jpg]

Thanks in advance

The leaves are only just uncurling, and it may be better to wait a few
days so you can get a picture of a mature leaf. Hopefully one will fall
off, so we can see a clear picture of a fully formed leaf. There also
seem to be some flowers about to come out, again would be nice to see
what those look like when they come out.

From the bark, general pattern of the twigs, and approximate shape of
the leaves, I'm thinking it might be walnut. They have a distinctive
leaf notch at the base (see wikipedia on juglans regia), which we
haven't the detail to make out, and should have catkin like flowers.
But it could also be some kind of oak that doesn't have lobed leaves
like English oak - there are 400 species of oak and they don't all have
lobed leaves. And I'm sure there are other options.

--
echinosum

Looking at the last of your pictures,
I wouldn't wory about what sort of tree it is, I'd advise phoning the
council aboricultural officer on Tuesday and geting them out URGENTLY
to look at the tree if it is still in one piece
Looking at the trunk
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ent=tree02.jpg
I'd say one good gale ond that tree could be gone and anything else in
it's way.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
I'd suggest Pyrus communis (pear) or Prunus avium (bird cherry), both of which can get pretty big, but it's not easy to identify.
Isn't it a bit late to be not yet into flower for those, in London, this year?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered User

The bark looks a bit like hornbeam, but the leaves are not quite right. The tree has been a bit butchered so it is difficult to see its true growth habit.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Registered User

Wow thanks for all the helpful responses guys!!

Here a some more images I just took. They should be clearer as I haven't cropped them so much.

Luckily there were still a couple of berries on the tree, although quite shrivelled, plus one on the floor underneath. I put it in my hand to get a scale view.

Such a lovely looking tree. I love the 'compact' growth on the tips of the branches (please excuse my Layman's terms).

http://i42.tinypic.com/rhlnbq.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2l9qwwz.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2psemhg.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/hvp1nd.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Looking at the last of your pictures,
I wouldn't wory about what sort of tree it is, I'd advise phoning the
council aboricultural officer on Tuesday and geting them out URGENTLY
to look at the tree if it is still in one piece
Looking at the trunk
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ent=tree02.jpg
I'd say one good gale ond that tree could be gone and anything else in
it's way.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Thanks Dave, I noticed that damage too. I'll do that after the weekend.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered User

Just to add that there are two seeds inside the berry that I picked up.

Once this tree has been identified, could I get advice on how to successfully germinate them?

Would love to have one of these in my garden!

Hope it's not asking to much....

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1 View Post
Just to add that there are two seeds inside the berry that I picked up.

Once this tree has been identified, could I get advice on how to successfully germinate them?

Would love to have one of these in my garden!

Hope it's not asking to much....

Thanks!
It seems that for some reason my 2nd post with images was not approved.

Sorry for any confusion. I will try again tomorrow
Old 27-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Registered User

Smile

This tree has finally come into flower!!!

Any ideas now??

http://i44.tinypic.com/e67xas.jpg

Thanks
Old 27-05-2009, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , james1
writes

This tree has finally come into flower!!!

Any ideas now??

[image: http://i44.tinypic.com/e67xas.jpg]

Thanks

It gives the impression of being some type of whitebeam, but whitebeams
mostly have white undersides to the leaves.

(Himalayan whitebeam, Sorbus cuspidata, seems a better match than the
common whitebeam, Sorbus aria, but I'm not convinced by either
identification.) For a London street tree Sorbus cuspidata is probably
more likely that one of the British endemics.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question?? MICHELLE H. Gardening 5 02-12-2009 10:01 PM
Tree Identification Chip G. Lawns 4 11-07-2003 09:24 PM
Help - Tree Identification (picts included) Scott Gardening 3 10-06-2003 03:08 AM
[IBC] Tree Identification Sean Nemecek Bonsai 5 25-05-2003 09:20 PM
Identification of pine tree from photo David Jones alt.forestry 1 05-03-2003 07:56 PM