Old 12-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Cindy

How were you watering? Taking into consideration that a tree's feeder
roots extend outward up to 2-3 times the tree height, you may not have
been watering a wide enough area. Considering most feeder roots are
in the top 12-18 inches of soil, but mostly beneath grass, you may not
have been watering deeply enough. If both these possibilities seem
inplausible, you may have been overwatering. Depending on what type
of juniper it was, you may have had a species ill-suited to Austin's
alkaline soil conditions. Just no way to know without more info.

I'm in Houston. The tree was in my yard, next to my house on the east side,
and the fence with drainage area on the other. It got watered when I
watered the lawn, and also when I watered a grouping of container plants
around it. I don't think it was overwatered, as I didn't water the lawn
that much. Who knows. It's gone and I'm going to plant something else.

Old 13-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Lil' Dave

You guys can come to Wimberley and take all the junipers you want. They're
a nuisance down here. Nothing kills them, and they kill the native two
species of oak in the hill country by sucking all water up during typical
dry summers. This summer hasn't been that way except for June, so the oaks
are okay.

"ie" wrote in message
hm....come to think of it I noticed an evergreen on our Saturday bike ride
on a corner in Anderson Mill that had a section that had turned brown....

My juniper (still potted, not planted yet) bit the dust, too but I assumed
it was underwatered...maybe not...

"Cindy" wrote in message
. ..
Chris wrote:
Has anyone noticed that the fir trees are dying in Austin? Forgive
me if I'm wrong on the type of tree (evergreen, pine needles, look
"furry" from a distance).

What gives with that? They start on a small portion by turning
brown. Soon it spreads to engulf the entire tree until it's
completely brown and wilted. It's very sad to see such nice, big
trees die.
Chris

I'm in Houston, and one of my junipers died this summer for no reason

that
I can see.

Douglas fir or Douglas-fir?? [email protected] Plant Science 3 29-06-2005 02:12 AM
Trimming Fir Trees [email protected] Gardening 0 24-06-2003 12:56 PM
douglas fir trees Ray Gardening 10 20-06-2003 10:56 AM
Concrete and two large fir trees Steve United Kingdom 3 01-06-2003 03:56 AM
Supplement soil for hedge going near fir trees? PNW Bob Muir Gardening 2 26-03-2003 10:56 PM