Old 30-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Chris

Default dying fir trees

Has anyone noticed that the fir trees are dying in Austin? Forgive me if
I'm wrong on the type of tree (evergreen, pine needles, look "furry" from a
distance).

What gives with that? They start on a small portion by turning brown. Soon
it spreads to engulf the entire tree until it's completely brown and wilted.
It's very sad to see such nice, big trees die.
Chris

Old 30-08-2005, 03:42 AM
Cindy

Chris wrote:
Has anyone noticed that the fir trees are dying in Austin? Forgive
me if I'm wrong on the type of tree (evergreen, pine needles, look
"furry" from a distance).

What gives with that? They start on a small portion by turning
brown. Soon it spreads to engulf the entire tree until it's
completely brown and wilted. It's very sad to see such nice, big
trees die.
Chris

I'm in Houston, and one of my junipers died this summer for no reason that I
can see.

Old 30-08-2005, 03:47 AM
ie

hm....come to think of it I noticed an evergreen on our Saturday bike ride
on a corner in Anderson Mill that had a section that had turned brown....

My juniper (still potted, not planted yet) bit the dust, too but I assumed
it was underwatered...maybe not...

"Cindy" wrote in message
. ..

Old 31-08-2005, 07:19 PM
BJ in Texas

Chris wrote:
|| Has anyone noticed that the fir trees are dying in Austin?
|| Forgive me if I'm wrong on the type of tree (evergreen, pine
|| needles, look "furry" from a distance).
|| What gives with that? They start on a small portion by
|| turning brown. Soon it spreads to engulf the entire tree
|| until it's completely brown and wilted. It's very sad to see
|| such nice, big trees die.
|| Chris

I have notices loosing a lot of Cedar trees on our country
property the last several years.

BJ
--
"Live as though there is no tomorrow, Love as though you have
never been hurt, Dance as if no one is looking..." - Satchel

Old 01-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Chris

I'll try and snap a picture or two of the dying trees for identification and
as an alert.
Chris

"BJ in Texas" wrote in message
. ..

Old 02-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Treedweller

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:12:52 GMT, "Chris" wrote:

Has anyone noticed that the fir trees are dying in Austin? Forgive me if
I'm wrong on the type of tree (evergreen, pine needles, look "furry" from a
distance).

What gives with that? They start on a small portion by turning brown. Soon
it spreads to engulf the entire tree until it's completely brown and wilted.
It's very sad to see such nice, big trees die.
Chris

A lot of junipers are losing the war with drought right now.

In general, pine trees in Austin will do okay for a few years, then
get infected with a fungus that causes needles to turn brown and fall
off from the bottom up. They need acidic soil and we don't have it.

I'm not sure I've seen a fir in Austin.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236
Old 02-09-2005, 02:23 AM
User Example

Treedweller wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:12:52 GMT, "Chris" wrote:

Has anyone noticed that the fir trees are dying in Austin? Forgive me if
I'm wrong on the type of tree (evergreen, pine needles, look "furry" from a
distance).

What gives with that? They start on a small portion by turning brown. Soon
it spreads to engulf the entire tree until it's completely brown and wilted.
It's very sad to see such nice, big trees die.
Chris

I don't know about that but something weird has happened across the
street from my house. Last year, 2 big trees suddenly died in this one
yard. Not sure of the tree type... something like a birch maybe... I
don't know.

This year, the house beside it just had 2 big bradford pear trees
suddenly die. And by suddenly I mean one week they were green and then
a couple weeks later the leaves are brown and falling off.

What would do such a thing? Seems too weird to be just a coincidence.
I looked and didn't see any kind of tree damage to any of them.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Cindy

This year, the house beside it just had 2 big bradford pear trees
suddenly die. And by suddenly I mean one week they were green and
then a couple weeks later the leaves are brown and falling off.

What would do such a thing? Seems too weird to be just a coincidence.
I looked and didn't see any kind of tree damage to any of them.

That's what it was like with my juniper. Wasn't drought, I was watering.
Suddenly all the tips browned, and it spread inward from there and was
crunchy dry in like three or four weeks.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Cliff

You probably killed with kindness. The Ashe Juniper doesn't need water and
in fact usually does not do well when it has been captured in a landscape.
You don't see them dieing out in the Hill Country.

. ..

Old 02-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Cindy

Cliff wrote:
You probably killed with kindness. The Ashe Juniper doesn't need
water and in fact usually does not do well when it has been captured
in a landscape. You don't see them dieing out in the Hill Country.

It wasn't an Ashe juniper. Can't remember the name, but it's the one with
the spiraling tortuous-looking branches. The one on the other side of my
house gets even more water, as my hose outlet drips a bit, and it's doing
fine.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:10 AM
Lori

Here in Alaska, we are plagued by an insidious creature called a
"Spruce Beetle". I know they have made their way to Washington state,
wonder if they made it to Texas as well? If so, look out, and dont
invest any time or energy into landscaping with evergreens! From your
description, it sure sounds like the spruce beetle attack we have here!

Lori

Old 11-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Gae Xavier

User Example wrote:
Treedweller wrote:

[...]

Well, how long has it been since we had rain? Every tree I have has been
under considerable stress from the drought.

My fig tree turned yellow and started dropping leaves until I watered it.

I looked out one day and my huge mimosa had dropped all it's fronds on
the yard -- until I watered it.

The peach trees were all wilted until I watered them.

My neighbor lost all the leaves on her cottonwood -- she's out of town
for the summer. A red bud bit the dust also in her yard.

A pine tree down the road has died. No rain and nobody has watered it
all summer long.

Everything I am seeing in my neighborhood is totally due to the drought
we have been in and no one is watering their trees. A live oak and some
cedars can survive it, but even they can get sick in a drought if no one
waters them.

Thank the good Lord, it's raining today!

Gae Xavier,
REALTOR, Stanberry & Assocs.
http://www.stanberry.com/
Old 11-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Matt Townsend

Gae Xavier wrote:
User Example wrote:

Treedweller wrote:

[...]

I am lucky in that out of 4 trees, 3 are live oaks and get along fine
without water, and the arizona ash is just off the edge of the septic
field so it gets plenty of water.

Thank the good Lord, it's raining today!

Amen to that

Gae Xavier,
REALTOR, Stanberry & Assocs.
http://www.stanberry.com/

Old 11-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Cindy

Well, how long has it been since we had rain? Every tree I have has
been under considerable stress from the drought.

I was watering my juniper.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Treedweller

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:38:05 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Well, how long has it been since we had rain? Every tree I have has
been under considerable stress from the drought.

I was watering my juniper.

How were you watering? Taking into consideration that a tree's feeder
roots extend outward up to 2-3 times the tree height, you may not have
been watering a wide enough area. Considering most feeder roots are
in the top 12-18 inches of soil, but mostly beneath grass, you may not
have been watering deeply enough. If both these possibilities seem
inplausible, you may have been overwatering. Depending on what type
of juniper it was, you may have had a species ill-suited to Austin's
alkaline soil conditions. Just no way to know without more info.

Douglas fir or Douglas-fir?? [email protected] Plant Science 3 29-06-2005 02:12 AM
Trimming Fir Trees [email protected] Gardening 0 24-06-2003 12:56 PM
douglas fir trees Ray Gardening 10 20-06-2003 10:56 AM
Concrete and two large fir trees Steve United Kingdom 3 01-06-2003 03:56 AM
Supplement soil for hedge going near fir trees? PNW Bob Muir Gardening 2 26-03-2003 10:56 PM