Old 16-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Art

Default Slugs

Hello everyone,

We recently move to San Antonio and bought a house that was not
occupied for about 6 months. So the lawn was dry, some plants died,
etc.

We were surprised when walking around in the backyard at night by the
large population of slugs. We caught about 50 or 60 just last night and
this morning. They are the black color slugs.

Have you had an infestation like this? Will just hand pick them do? Any
tips?

Thanks,
Art

Old 16-10-2005, 04:03 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Art" wrote:

Hello everyone,

We recently move to San Antonio and bought a house that was not
occupied for about 6 months. So the lawn was dry, some plants died,
etc.

We were surprised when walking around in the backyard at night by the
large population of slugs. We caught about 50 or 60 just last night and
this morning. They are the black color slugs.

Have you had an infestation like this? Will just hand pick them do? Any
tips?

Thanks,
Art

Pans of dark ale.
They prefer it to beer (much to our surprise!).
--
Om.

Old 16-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Bourne Identity

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:03:02 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article .com,
"Art" wrote:

Hello everyone,

We recently move to San Antonio and bought a house that was not
occupied for about 6 months. So the lawn was dry, some plants died,
etc.

We were surprised when walking around in the backyard at night by the
large population of slugs. We caught about 50 or 60 just last night and
this morning. They are the black color slugs.

Have you had an infestation like this? Will just hand pick them do? Any
tips?

Thanks,
Art

Pans of dark ale.
They prefer it to beer (much to our surprise!).

It's the yeast they are attracted to, not the beer itself.
Old 17-10-2005, 01:02 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Bourne Identity wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:03:02 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article .com,
"Art" wrote:

Hello everyone,

We recently move to San Antonio and bought a house that was not
occupied for about 6 months. So the lawn was dry, some plants died,
etc.

We were surprised when walking around in the backyard at night by the
large population of slugs. We caught about 50 or 60 just last night and
this morning. They are the black color slugs.

Have you had an infestation like this? Will just hand pick them do? Any
tips?

Thanks,
Art

Pans of dark ale.
They prefer it to beer (much to our surprise!).

It's the yeast they are attracted to, not the beer itself.

Well, the thing is, we tried beer in the past and caught a few, but one
day dad was out of beer and used a bottle of dark ale. They were going
after his marigolds and he grows those for his Kombucha herbal mixtures.
Marigolds are a wonderful source of lycopenes and other nutrients.

So, he grabbed a bottle of dark ale out of the refrigerator and use it
instead. The next morning, there were more than 3 times the usual number
of slugs in the pans!

It appears they have expensive tastes in "yeast products". ;-)

This is a good organic way to kill slugs.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 17-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Lil' Dave

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:03:02 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article .com,
"Art" wrote:

Hello everyone,

We recently move to San Antonio and bought a house that was not
occupied for about 6 months. So the lawn was dry, some plants died,
etc.

We were surprised when walking around in the backyard at night by the
large population of slugs. We caught about 50 or 60 just last night and
this morning. They are the black color slugs.

Have you had an infestation like this? Will just hand pick them do? Any
tips?

Thanks,
Art

Pans of dark ale.
They prefer it to beer (much to our surprise!).

It's the yeast they are attracted to, not the beer itself.

If that's the case, wouldn't it be smarter just to drop a pan of warm
watered-down yeast, than wasting good beer/ale?

Old 17-10-2005, 01:02 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .net,
"Lil' Dave" wrote:

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:03:02 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article .com,
"Art" wrote:

Hello everyone,

We recently move to San Antonio and bought a house that was not
occupied for about 6 months. So the lawn was dry, some plants died,
etc.

We were surprised when walking around in the backyard at night by the
large population of slugs. We caught about 50 or 60 just last night and
this morning. They are the black color slugs.

Have you had an infestation like this? Will just hand pick them do? Any
tips?

Thanks,
Art

Pans of dark ale.
They prefer it to beer (much to our surprise!).

It's the yeast they are attracted to, not the beer itself.

If that's the case, wouldn't it be smarter just to drop a pan of warm
watered-down yeast, than wasting good beer/ale?

Give it a try and see if it works....... ;-)

I think it's the hops myself.
--
Om.

Old 17-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Art

Well,

I tried with 4 dishes and beer but did not work we only caught one
slug.
Still, we picked about 30 or 40 slugs from the yard early this morning.

Maybe is because we used Miller High Life.

Are there other options?

Thanks,
Art

Old 18-10-2005, 03:16 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Art" wrote:

Well,

I tried with 4 dishes and beer but did not work we only caught one
slug.
Still, we picked about 30 or 40 slugs from the yard early this morning.

Maybe is because we used Miller High Life.

Are there other options?

Thanks,
Art

Like I posted...

Try dark ale.
And put the tray near where the slugs are visiting the garden.

That first night, I picked about 30 out of the trays. ;-)
Both of them.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 18-10-2005, 03:17 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Art" wrote:

Well,

I tried with 4 dishes and beer but did not work we only caught one
slug.
Still, we picked about 30 or 40 slugs from the yard early this morning.

Maybe is because we used Miller High Life.

Are there other options?

Thanks,
Art

Oh, and the trays have to be deep enough for them to drown in.
First they stick to the sides of the container, drinking. (I've watched
them), then they get drunk, fall in and drown.
--
Om.

Old 18-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Cindy

Oh, and the trays have to be deep enough for them to drown in.
First they stick to the sides of the container, drinking. (I've
watched them), then they get drunk, fall in and drown.

Hah! I need a trap like that for my ex-husband....
;P

Old 18-10-2005, 07:31 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Oh, and the trays have to be deep enough for them to drown in.
First they stick to the sides of the container, drinking. (I've
watched them), then they get drunk, fall in and drown.

Hah! I need a trap like that for my ex-husband....
;P

snork
You _are_ so ornery!!! ;-D
--
Om.

Old 31-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Art

Well, the trap has not been very effective for us.
Collecting them at night or early morning has been better.
Since its kind of gross to pick them up and putting them in a bag I
have been using a small sharp ax to chop them in a few pieces instead.

Regards
Art

Old 31-10-2005, 05:56 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Art" wrote:

Well, the trap has not been very effective for us.
Collecting them at night or early morning has been better.
Since its kind of gross to pick them up and putting them in a bag I
have been using a small sharp ax to chop them in a few pieces instead.

Regards
Art

Sorry it did not work for you! It sure has worked here. :-)

There is a bait called "Sluggo" that is supposed to be safe and
effective. I've not tried it yet.

Chopping them up might be satisfying but sounds like a lot of work. ;-)
Just wear a pair of gloves!

Cheers!
--
Om.