Old 16-10-2005, 03:05 PM
marcesent

Default Pruning Texas (blue) Sage?

I'm feeling as dumb as a doorknob here, but I can't figure out when to prune
my Texas (blue) sage. It is about to devour my driveway, but I'm afraid to
prune it and wind up killing or maiming it.

It has bloomed almost all year, thanks to it's proximity to the sprinkler
system. The leaves are lush and green on the ends of the branches, but the
branches themselves are very woody going into the heart of the plant. Being
evergreen, I worry that if I cut it back I'll wind up with a bunch of woody
sticks and no leaves. And I worry that if I trim it during the winter I'm
going to shock it and kill the next season's growth or something like that.

Can anyone tell me when is the best time to prune this shrub? Thanks for
your help.

Julie

Old 16-10-2005, 10:22 PM
jOhN

marcesent wrote:
I'm feeling as dumb as a doorknob here, but I can't figure out when to prune
my Texas (blue) sage. It is about to devour my driveway, but I'm afraid to
prune it and wind up killing or maiming it.

It has bloomed almost all year, thanks to it's proximity to the sprinkler
system. The leaves are lush and green on the ends of the branches, but the
branches themselves are very woody going into the heart of the plant. Being
evergreen, I worry that if I cut it back I'll wind up with a bunch of woody
sticks and no leaves. And I worry that if I trim it during the winter I'm
going to shock it and kill the next season's growth or something like that.

Can anyone tell me when is the best time to prune this shrub? Thanks for
your help.

Julie

I've trimmed mine back to just sticks and it has returned every time. As
far as timing goes I did the trimming in early spring.

Old 18-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Cheryl Cato

jOhN wrote:
marcesent wrote:
my Texas (blue) sage. It is about to devour my driveway, but I'm afraid to
prune it and wind up killing or maiming it.

It has bloomed almost all year, thanks to it's proximity to the sprinkler
system. The leaves are lush and green on the ends of the branches, but the
evergreen, I worry that if I cut it back I'll wind up with a bunch of woody
sticks and no leaves. And I worry that if I trim it during the winter I'm
going to shock it and kill the next season's growth or something like that.

Can anyone tell me when is the best time to prune this shrub? Thanks for
your help.

Julie

I've trimmed mine back to just sticks and it has returned every time. As
far as timing goes I did the trimming in early spring.

I called in on Dr. Doug Welsh's
(http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/faculty/welsh.html)radio show to ask about mine. He said to prune in April and September
with regularhedge clippers - about 2".

Now - I have one that is commonly called "Texas Silver Sage" (not really
a sage at allapparently) and turns out to be the true native variety. It was getting
very sparse so Itrimmed it back severely (nearly to the ground) early this Spring. It
is already about3' tall and nice and bushy again.

YMMV.

Cheryl
Lyons, TX

Texas Sage for hedge ? oldhickory Texas 4 21-09-2006 04:39 AM
Need general and specific (sage) pruning advice Dolchas Gardening 1 25-09-2003 03:02 AM
pruning sage chaz United Kingdom 25 05-09-2003 12:17 AM
WAS pruning sage, IS Top posting Culturalenigma United Kingdom 0 03-09-2003 04:02 AM
Sage smeckler United Kingdom 11 16-03-2003 05:56 PM