Old 02-09-2003, 04:22 PM
chaz

Default pruning sage

I have a problem pruning my sage plants, lots of growth seems to die back
when I do prune, perhaps sage doesn't like being pruned?

any sage tips?

chaz

Old 02-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Ron Clark

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:16:34 GMT, "chaz"
wrote:

I have a problem pruning my sage plants, lots of growth seems to die back
when I do prune, perhaps sage doesn't like being pruned?

any sage tips?

Give it a goodly prune once a year in the Spring

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 02-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Culturalenigma

I have "tri-colored" sage, and I cut it back every fall to the main stalk
(in the US). The next year, it usually comes back quite full and it's very
hardy. Does anyone else do this? If I cut it back in the spring, it
doesn't do as well.

Trai
news

Old 02-09-2003, 05:24 PM
anne

Trai, whatever you do DON'T top post!! That's worse than liking Alan
Titchmarsh... well almost ;-)

Culturalenigma wrote in message
I have "tri-colored" sage, and I cut it back every fall to the main stalk
(in the US). The next year, it usually comes back quite full and it's

very
hardy. Does anyone else do this? If I cut it back in the spring, it
doesn't do as well.

Trai
news

Old 02-09-2003, 05:34 PM
chaz

"anne" wrote in message
Trai, whatever you do DON'T top post!! That's worse than liking Alan
Titchmarsh... well almost ;-)

sorry im new to this! what is top posting???? maybe i do it too!

chaz

Old 02-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"chaz" wrote in message
I have a problem pruning my sage plants, lots of growth seems to die back
when I do prune, perhaps sage doesn't like being pruned?

any sage tips?

I used to prune it right back to the slightest sign of growth on the stem
each spring and it loved it.

Franz

chaz

Old 02-09-2003, 07:26 PM
chaz

its in a very dry soil in full sun, is that preferred?

there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether spring or autumn is best
tho'

chaz

Old 02-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Culturalenigma

"anne" wrote in message
Trai, whatever you do DON'T top post!! That's worse than liking Alan
Titchmarsh... well almost ;-)

(snip)

Why not?

Trai

Old 02-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , chaz
writes
"anne" wrote in message
Trai, whatever you do DON'T top post!! That's worse than liking Alan
Titchmarsh... well almost ;-)

sorry im new to this! what is top posting???? maybe i do it too!

Top posting is posting at the top of the message you are replying to,
rather than after the point you are replying to, which is what you have
done here.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Culturalenigma
writes

"anne" wrote in message
Trai, whatever you do DON'T top post!! That's worse than liking Alan
Titchmarsh... well almost ;-)

(snip)

Why not?

1) because it's usenet convention
2) because in a group with a lot of postings, you need a bit of a
reminder as to what the thread you are reading is about, and having to
scroll to the bottom to read the first post and then back up to see the
reply is tedious
3) because if you are replying to a long post with lots of different
points in it, it is more comprehensible for you reader if you reply to
each point immediately under that bit of the original post, rather than
altogether in a bunch at the top
4) because if a thread continues for some time, and most people are
posting according to convention but a few are top posting, the thread
becomes completely scrambled.

The corollary to conventional posting is that you also need to snip that
part of the original post that isn't required to give context to your
reply. Almost as irritating as the mess caused by top posting is
scrolling down 3 or more screens for a one-liner reply ... especially
when that reply is merely 'thanks'.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 02-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"anne" wrote in message
Trai, whatever you do DON'T top post!! That's worse than liking Alan
Titchmarsh... well almost ;-)

(snip)

Why not?

From the way the thread has been mangled it is not clear what the question
is which you are asking.
If it is about top posting, here is the argument:

The logical flow of a thread is maintained best if
(1) Each responder puts each of his/her comments immediately below the
point to which the response refers, leaving a blank line above and below.
(2) Old text which is irelevant to your response is snipped, and you
indicate where you snipped by saying "[snip]" so that futuure readers know
there might be something relevant which has been removed.
(3) Don't snip text which is part of the context of what your reply refers
to.

If a top-posted thread has been top-posted a second time, it will usually
have been mangled enough to make further interest a waste of time, except
for those whose interest goes no further than just the current comment.

Franz.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:04 PM

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Snip
:
: The corollary to conventional posting is that you also need to snip that
: part of the original post that isn't required to give context to your
: reply. Almost as irritating as the mess caused by top posting is
: scrolling down 3 or more screens for a one-liner reply ... especially
: when that reply is merely 'thanks'.
: --
: Kay Easton
:
: Edward's earthworm page:
: http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/edward/index.htm

Almost as irritating as opening a post believing that it is going to contain
information about the subject in the subject heading :O))

Old 02-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Franz Heymann

"K" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Snip
:
: The corollary to conventional posting is that you also need to snip that
: part of the original post that isn't required to give context to your
: reply. Almost as irritating as the mess caused by top posting is
: scrolling down 3 or more screens for a one-liner reply ... especially
: when that reply is merely 'thanks'.
: --
: Kay Easton
:
: Edward's earthworm page:
: http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/edward/index.htm

Almost as irritating as opening a post believing that it is going to

contain
information about the subject in the subject heading :O))

That depends on the development of the thread. It frequently develops a
life of its own which may be more interesting than the OP's topic.

Franz

Old 02-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "chaz" contains these words:
"anne" wrote in message
Trai, whatever you do DON'T top post!! That's worse than liking Alan
Titchmarsh... well almost ;-)

sorry im new to this! what is top posting???? maybe i do it too!

It's putting your answer before the question or the bit you are
referring to - which you haven't done, and are to be commended
therefore.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 03-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Culturalenigma

(snip of everything that basically admonished me for top posting a thank
you)

Ok. sorry if I mis-posted. Won't happen again.

Look guys, I'm not a newbie, I've posted on a different newsgroup for quite
a while.

So I apologise if I offended. None of the other NG's I've posted at really
cared that much. So - as I said, won't happen again.

Trai