Old 27-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Neil Cairns

Default Huckleberry

I have grown Huckleberry from this year and ended up with 12 strong
plants full of berries very thick skins and slightly bitter fruit.
Question. What do you do with the fruit? Do you make Jam, Bottled
fruit, Pies with a sweeter fruit. Any help will be much appreciated.

Old 30-10-2005, 07:04 PM
TLR

Default mini tiller

Hi Everyone - Not many posts lately....everybody must be outside working in
the garden!

I've been thinking of buying a mini tiller - like the Mantis, but I don't
want to spend that much money ($300)

I used to have one in a previous life that I really liked because it did the
job I expected, but it was SO incredibly loud - like one of those kid's
minibikes that go screaming down the street. It also smoked like crazy even
though I mixed the fuel according to directions.

Does anyone else have a mini tiller that they like? I don't want/need a
large one so let's not go there

Thanks!
Teri

Old 30-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Cindy

TLR wrote:
Hi Everyone - Not many posts lately....everybody must be outside
working in the garden!

I've been thinking of buying a mini tiller - like the Mantis, but I
don't want to spend that much money ($300)

I used to have one in a previous life that I really liked because it
did the job I expected, but it was SO incredibly loud - like one of
those kid's minibikes that go screaming down the street. It also
smoked like crazy even though I mixed the fuel according to
directions.

Teri, I have a used Mantis I'd sell you....
I'm in Spring, on the northern outskirts of Houston.

Cindy

Old 30-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Joe Doe

In article ,
"TLR" wrote:

Hi Everyone - Not many posts lately....everybody must be outside working in
the garden!

I've been thinking of buying a mini tiller - like the Mantis, but I don't
want to spend that much money ($300)

I used to have one in a previous life that I really liked because it did the
job I expected, but it was SO incredibly loud - like one of those kid's
minibikes that go screaming down the street. It also smoked like crazy even
though I mixed the fuel according to directions.

Does anyone else have a mini tiller that they like? I don't want/need a
large one so let's not go there

Thanks!
Teri

I do not have one but you might want to look into the electric versions
of the Mantis - they would be less noisy and polluting than the gas
versions. I think most peoples prejudice is that electric tools are
underpowered relative to the gas version. I own an electric mower and
am very happy with it. I think the Mantis has a money back guarantee so
you could try it on their dime to see if it has enough oomph to get the
job done.

Roland
Old 31-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Bourne Identity

If you only need a small one to cultivate soil Ryobi makes a nice
multi-task unit. I have it and along with the base I bought the
cultivator, blower, edger and it came with the string trimmer.

It won't till fresh soil which hasn't been worked, but it does a great
job at cultivation of soil which has already been ammended. It is
strong enough to rip down virgin areas of soil, but it's not intended
to do that. I have mine for about 8 years and it is still working.
It's also electric so no need to struggle with gas/oil mixtures or
pull starting.

Old 31-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Cindy

Bourne Identity wrote:
Ryobi..... It won't till fresh soil which hasn't been worked, but it does a
great
job at cultivation of soil which has already been ammended. It is
strong enough to rip down virgin areas of soil, but it's not intended
to do that. I have mine for about 8 years and it is still working.
It's also electric so no need to struggle with gas/oil mixtures or
pull starting.

Same for the Mantis. I also lived in an area with very rocky soil, from
small to large gravel. The rocks got caught in the tines and stopped them.
I got tired of having to sift all the rocks out of my soil to use the
tiller, so it's been sitting for years. I haven't even tried it on the
lovely clay here.

Cindy

Old 31-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Bourne Identity

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:04:06 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Bourne Identity wrote:
Ryobi..... It won't till fresh soil which hasn't been worked, but it does a
great
job at cultivation of soil which has already been ammended. It is
strong enough to rip down virgin areas of soil, but it's not intended
to do that. I have mine for about 8 years and it is still working.
It's also electric so no need to struggle with gas/oil mixtures or
pull starting.

Same for the Mantis. I also lived in an area with very rocky soil, from
small to large gravel. The rocks got caught in the tines and stopped them.
I got tired of having to sift all the rocks out of my soil to use the
tiller, so it's been sitting for years. I haven't even tried it on the
lovely clay here.

Cindy

Actually, if you have clay and it's got the right amount of moisture,
it does do a pretty good job, but you can't just jam it into the soil
and expect it to activate six inches at once. With patience, the
Ryobi does work well for a small garden. At least in my experience.
Fortunately I don't have any rocks to speak of.
Old 31-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Cindy

Actually, if you have clay and it's got the right amount of moisture,
it does do a pretty good job, but you can't just jam it into the soil
and expect it to activate six inches at once. With patience, the
Ryobi does work well for a small garden. At least in my experience.
Fortunately I don't have any rocks to speak of.

I don't anymore. I went from gravelly soil, more rocks than dirt, to this
ugly red clay. The clay is better than the gravel, though. At least plants
grow.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Borg hater

"Cindy" wrote in message
m...
Actually, if you have clay and it's got the right amount of moisture,
it does do a pretty good job, but you can't just jam it into the soil
and expect it to activate six inches at once. With patience, the
Ryobi does work well for a small garden. At least in my experience.
Fortunately I don't have any rocks to speak of.

I don't anymore. I went from gravelly soil, more rocks than dirt, to this
ugly red clay. The clay is better than the gravel, though. At least

plants
grow.

Am having a big problem geting the St. Augustine to grow in some red
clay/sand mix they put on my leech field and in front of the house. The
Bermuda grass loves it though.

--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg

Old 02-11-2005, 04:23 AM
jOhN

Borg hater wrote:
"Cindy" wrote in message
m...

Actually, if you have clay and it's got the right amount of moisture,
it does do a pretty good job, but you can't just jam it into the soil
and expect it to activate six inches at once. With patience, the
Ryobi does work well for a small garden. At least in my experience.
Fortunately I don't have any rocks to speak of.

I don't anymore. I went from gravelly soil, more rocks than dirt, to this
ugly red clay. The clay is better than the gravel, though. At least

plants

grow.

Am having a big problem geting the St. Augustine to grow in some red
clay/sand mix they put on my leech field and in front of the house. The
Bermuda grass loves it though.

Are you cutting it high? Short cuts on mixed Bermuda and St. Augustine
often ends up with the Bermuda the winner.

Old 02-11-2005, 04:39 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Borg hater wrote:
"Cindy" wrote in message
m...

Actually, if you have clay and it's got the right amount of moisture,
it does do a pretty good job, but you can't just jam it into the soil
and expect it to activate six inches at once. With patience, the
Ryobi does work well for a small garden. At least in my experience.
Fortunately I don't have any rocks to speak of.

I don't anymore. I went from gravelly soil, more rocks than dirt, to this
ugly red clay. The clay is better than the gravel, though. At least

plants

grow.

Am having a big problem geting the St. Augustine to grow in some red
clay/sand mix they put on my leech field and in front of the house. The
Bermuda grass loves it though.

Are you cutting it high? Short cuts on mixed Bermuda and St. Augustine
often ends up with the Bermuda the winner.

So if I plant St. Augustine in with my resident Bermuda and cut it tall,
will the SA take over???

That would be awesome! I'm regretting putting in the Bermuda and am
beginning to wonder why that ratty looking grass is so damned expensive
to buy the seeds...

Thanks!
--
Om.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:10 AM
jOhN

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Borg hater wrote:

"Cindy" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

With adequate water, nutrients, and sun the St. Augustine will usually
prevail when cut high. My mower is usually set to the highest position.
The bermuda is still there and will take back over if you don't water
adequately regardless of the mower height. I've got a couple of places
that catch the afternoon sun next to the sidewalk that need extra
watering in the summer.

Remember that St. Augustine is mostly on the surface so the long
standing up leaves provide shade for the runners. IMHO the shade helps
deter the bermuda with its full sun requirements. 20 years with a
bermuda and St. Augustine mixed yard had some hard lessons in it. I'm
almost entirely St. Auggie now and with it's dense growth patterns I
don't have many weeds. In parts of my front yard there haven't been
weeds for 10 years. No herbicides and a mulching mower (avoid thatch)
with fertilizer a couple times a year - woohoo! The bermuda had weeds
year round.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Borg hater

"jOhN" wrote in message
m...
Borg hater wrote:
"Cindy" wrote in message
m...

Actually, if you have clay and it's got the right amount of moisture,
it does do a pretty good job, but you can't just jam it into the soil
and expect it to activate six inches at once. With patience, the
Ryobi does work well for a small garden. At least in my experience.
Fortunately I don't have any rocks to speak of.

I don't anymore. I went from gravelly soil, more rocks than dirt, to

this
ugly red clay. The clay is better than the gravel, though. At least

plants

grow.

Am having a big problem geting the St. Augustine to grow in some red
clay/sand mix they put on my leech field and in front of the house. The
Bermuda grass loves it though.

Are you cutting it high? Short cuts on mixed Bermuda and St. Augustine
often ends up with the Bermuda the winner.

Mower setting is medium high, not sure of actual height in inches. Height
was more due to heat concerns and moisture loss.

Couldn't afford complete sod coverage with St. Augustine. Dropped Bermuda
grass seed in barren areas remaining.

Have used zero fertilizer. Will probably succumb and do so early next
March.
--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg
Else you will be absorbed

Huckleberry David WE Roberts[_4_] United Kingdom 1 17-04-2012 02:11 PM
Is this Huckleberries? - Is it Huckleberry.JPG Kayla Garden Photos 0 09-08-2010 03:20 AM
Huckleberry usacoder North Carolina 0 22-09-2005 04:32 PM
Huckleberry Plants - Help!! Charles Turner United Kingdom 9 17-06-2003 10:32 PM