Old 11-11-2005, 04:16 AM
Scarlett

Default Red "berries" attached to Live Oak leaves.

We have noticed what appears to be red "berries" attached to the leaves of
our large Live Oak tree. Does anyone know what they are and how they got
there?

Many thanks!

Linda

Old 11-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Scarlett

Thanks for the response, Cliff! It's odd that the only Live Oak affected is
the huge tree that completely coveres our swimming pool. The smaller Live
Oaks that line the driveway don't have these "berries." I have seen these
tiny wasps, and have been stung by one. They like to eat my cat's food, and
she is afraid of them. Do you know where and how they nest? And is it
possible to get rid of them? The only nests I have been able to find are
for the larger wasps.

Several years ago, these tiny wasps managed to find a way or ways into my
house, and we were infested with them! My husband plugged up all the weep
holes he could find, and we screened the chimney. They haven't been back
inside since, but I would like to get rid of them completely.

Thanks again,

Linda

. net...

Old 11-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Cliff

Check this
http://www.plantanswers.com/oak_leaf_gall.htm

"Scarlett" wrote in message
[...]

. net...

Old 12-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Jim

Have a small grove of 20' and higher live oaks next to a recently built
house out by Wimberley. These had many problems and had a hard time this
season. Aphids out the ying-yang, lotta dead limbs, boring holes at former
limb locations, carpenter ants at number and abundance I've never seen,
crusty/flaky bark of blue-green color spread throughout, and the pinkish
brown berry balls on the leaves.

Gonna get alot of flack for this, treated for the carpenter ants by local
bug killer company. Sprayed fungicide 3 times at two week intervals.
Sprayed twice for aphids. Cut off the majority of the dead limbs. Left
boric acid at the former branch/trunk where a hole exists now on older,
larger holes. Leaf and new limb rebound is evident. The little balls on
the leaves haven't returned on the new ones. Guess the little wasps moved
someplace else. The wasps were abundant in June/July on the front porch.
Very noisy critters for their size when stuck behind something like a open
window shutter.

--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg

Live Oak "runners" cledus Texas 4 12-11-2008 02:55 AM
Buy Live Fish Live Plants Live Food Online In Canada H2O Aquatic Solutions Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 10-12-2004 01:14 AM
Live Oak "molting" Wondering BJ in Texas Texas 4 18-04-2004 12:09 AM
Live Oak "molting" Scarlett Texas 7 09-04-2004 08:33 PM
Live Oak Losing Leaves Wayne Dyer Texas 11 17-03-2004 05:12 AM