Old 09-04-2004, 02:04 PM
BJ in Texas

Default Live Oak "molting" Wondering

Bob wrote:
"Scarlett" wrote in message
How much longer are the Live Oaks going to be dropping
leaves, tassels, acorns, etc.! They are wreaking havoc with
my swimming pool--it looks like a swamp! I don't know if I
will ever be able to get the stains out. Seems to be worse
this year than in the past. And those little green worms
are driving me crazy! The Live Oak is magnificent, but the
problems with it are a nightmare.

Scarlett

I can't help but wonder -
Which was there first? The live Oak or the pool?

Likely the live Oak, but that can be remedied with a chainsaw.

:-) BJ

Old 09-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Scarlett

The Live Oak was there first--it is enormous! Much taller than my two-story
house--covers my backyard and half of my neighbor's! The pool was built in
1983--not by us--and there was no other place to put it, literally! It is
my entire "backyard," and is about six feet from my back door.

We have these problems every year, but this is the worst it has been since
we bought the house in 1996. I don't know if I will ever be able to get the
stains out of the pool without draining it. My husband has suggested the
"chainsaw" approach every year. :-) Aside from being totally against City
Ordinance, I do love the tree and the shade it provides to the house,
although not to the pool--I had to buy a heater for the water! Can you
imagine--in our Texas sauna!

I'm just wondering how much longer I have to wait before cleaning it will
not be a waste of time and effort.

Scarlett

m...

Old 09-04-2004, 09:03 PM
BJ in Texas

Scarlett wrote:

I'm just wondering how much longer I have to wait before
cleaning it will not be a waste of time and effort.

Should only be another week or two. I have noticed my two
big oak trees starting to slow down their droppings over the
last couple of days.

BJ

Old 18-04-2004, 12:09 AM
jOhN

Bob wrote:
"Scarlett" wrote in message

How much longer are the Live Oaks going to be dropping leaves, tassels,
acorns, etc.! They are wreaking havoc with my swimming pool--it looks

like

a swamp! I don't know if I will ever be able to get the stains out.

Seems

to be worse this year than in the past. And those little green worms are
driving me crazy! The Live Oak is magnificent, but the problems with it

are

a nightmare.

Scarlett

I can't help but wonder -
Which was there first? The live Oak or the pool?

I've got the same issue as Scarlett except it's with my hot tub. When we
installed it 15 years ago the live oak was not overhanging that area.
I've done some selective pruning but don't want to butcher the tree.
Nowadays the spring debris season makes it impossible to sit under it.
An additional year-round bonus is the dove droppings.........I'm
probably going to go for a 10 x 10 portable canopy next year.