Old 01-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Eric Gray

Default Shade Plants

I recently bought a home in Liberty Hill(35 miles North of Austin) I would
like to improve the yard by planting some flowers and plants. The yard is
totally shaded and covered with live oak trees. I'm just getting my green
thumbs so they would have to be easy to grow. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-04-2003, 04:56 AM
J Kolenovsky

To get you started with some names, you might check this link for shade
plants and then search the net for the latin names.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/oak_prai...apes_plants.p=
df

Here are a few I recommended for a shady bed:
=

1. Violets
2. Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland Sea Oats)
3. Salvia coccinea (Scarlet Sage, Lady in Red)
4. Phlox pilosa (Prairie Phlox)
5. Aquilegia canadensis (Wild Columbine)
6. Eupathorium fistulosa (Boneset, Bee Balm)
7. Ajuga reptans (Carpet bugleweed)
=

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com (with over 168 links to nature)

Eric Gray wrote:
=

I recently bought a home in Liberty Hill(35 miles North of Austin) I =

would
like to improve the yard by planting some flowers and plants. The yard =

is
totally shaded and covered with live oak trees. I'm just getting my gre=

en
thumbs so they would have to be easy to grow. Any ideas would be greatl=

appreciated. Thanks

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 02-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Marc Stephenson

In article ,
Eric Gray wrote:
I recently bought a home in Liberty Hill(35 miles North of Austin) I would
like to improve the yard by planting some flowers and plants. The yard is
totally shaded and covered with live oak trees. I'm just getting my green
thumbs so they would have to be easy to grow. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

I would expect deer in Liberty Hill, so unless for some reason that's not
the case, check out
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...ions/deer.html
for some hint as to deer-resistant plants. You don't want to go through
a lot of expense and effort just to end up with a bunch of twigs or less.

Also likely to be of general use would be the City of Austin's Grow Green
plant list (http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/greengarden/plantlist.htm). Their
printed booklet is free and very nice
(http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/greengarden/nurseries.htm).

In my shade area, I have salvia coccinea (scarlet sage), Texas betony,
Nana nandina (sorry, nandina haters, I didn't know), and dwarf ruellia
(dwarf mexican petunias). Peppermint worked well for a while, but I
don't think that I managed it properly.

Totally shaded cuts down the selection possibilities a lot, but there
are still choices of shrubs, flowering perennials, and ground covers out
there. Of course, intersecting those plants with a deer-resistant list
would reduce the number even more.
--
Marc Stephenson IBM Server Group - Austin,TX
T/L: 678-3189
Old 03-04-2003, 02:44 AM
J Kolenovsky

Very good about deer. Since I'm in Houston in Bellaire, I don't see many
of those.
http://www.marbridge.org/December%20...Plants%20.htm=

http://texaserc.tamu.edu/catalog/query.cgi?id=3D882.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...ions/deer.html
http://home.adelphia.net/~dennisma/deer/comlink.htm
http://www.mydeergarden.com/
http://www.nadrp.com/ - interesting repellents
http://www.deerxlandscape.com/

Marc Stephenson wrote:
I would expect deer in Liberty Hill, so unless for some reason that's n=

ot
the case, check out...

In my shade area, I have salvia coccinea (scarlet sage), Texas betony,
Nana nandina (sorry, nandina haters, I didn't know),

Tell them to not worry about it. You are entitled to that choice.