Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
LibraLove

Default The President of the United States OT

Subject: The President of the United States OT
From: "gary"
Date: Wed, Oct 9, 2002 10:52 AM

I don't think it's ignorant. I think it's a political tactic, possibly tinged
with a bit of in-your-face arrogance. It has been pointed out that Bush's
Texas accent grows when he's on TV.

Yeah, and I guess that and all the other dumb statements he has made is just a
political tactic to let the rest of the world know that we are being run by an
ignorant boob who totes a gun. So those Iraqis better watch out! :/

This poem is composed entirely of actual quotes from George W. Bush. The quotes
have been arranged for aesthetic presentation by Washington Post writer Richard
Thompson. Too good not to share, especially during National Poetry Month...

MAKE THE PIE HIGHER

by George W. Bush

I think we all agree, the past is over.
This is still a dangerous world.

It's a world of madmen and uncertainty
and potential mental losses.

Rarely is the question asked,
Is our children learning?

Will the highways of the Internet become more few?

How many hands have I shaked?

They misunderestimate me.
I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.
I know that the human being and the fish can coexist.
Families is where our nation finds hope, where our wings take dream.

Put food on your family!
Knock down the tollbooth!

Vulcanize society!
Make the pie higher! Make the pie higher!

Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Gae Xavier

I also look for gardening tips in threads labeled (OT) for "Off Topic", but
somehow there never are any. :-( Oh well... :-)

bobwhite wrote:

From: "gary"
Date: Wed, Oct 9, 2002 10:52 AM

I don't think it's ignorant. I think it's a political tactic, possibly

tinged
with a bit of in-your-face arrogance. It has been pointed out that Bush's
Texas accent grows when he's on TV.

Yes, but I bet he has some good gardening tips, which is what I foolishly
thought this NG was about.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Steve Coyle

In regards to the serious issue of the accent of the President:
Bob White posted:

Yes, but I bet he has some good gardening tips, which is what I foolishly
thought this NG was about.

George and Laura do like to garden. They took a personal interest in
the gardens at the mansion when he was governor. Including a large
kitchen garden because they liked fresh veggies. When they were
ordering veggie plants I noticed that they liked the full flavoured
Jalapenos over the T.A.M varieties. He also liked Ichiban eggplants
over the standard round eggplants
On Saturdays Laura Bush liked to hit the local nurseries and was
particularly interested in butterfly attracting plants, and the last
time I saw her she was picking up Asclepias curarasavica for the
grounds on 11th street.

How Texans decide when a transplant has become a 'real Texan' is
mysterious to many outside of the state, but it's really very simple.
Just look at where they spend their summer vacation.

George Bush Senior lives in Houston but spends his summers in Maine.
George Bush Jr. spends his summers in Crawford Texas, driving visiting
dignitaries around his property in one hundred degree heat to look at
the trees on his ranch. Only a real Texan behaves that way.

I took an interesting class on lanquage aquisition at U.T. ten years
ago, and what was pointed out about 'accents' aside from being local
and arbitrary , was that the degree to which they were pronounced was
a function of the individuals identification to the group.

If you live and work in Midland Texas, unless you were deliberately
distancing yourself from the community you would adopt the local
accent very quickly. His unwillingness to give up his Texas accent
for Washintonion speak I would'nt view as a bad thing. He is not
likely to be there long.

Not that there arn't more important political issues we as gardeners
should be discussing, such as the genetic engineering of plant
materials, the EPA's allowance of industrial toxic waste into farm and
lawn fertilizers as 'recyclable materials' etc.

It is a rainy day.

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com
Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
cshardie

Steve Coyle wrote:
How Texans decide when a transplant has become a 'real Texan' is
mysterious to many outside of the state, but it's really very simple.
Just look at where they spend their summer vacation.

George Bush Senior lives in Houston but spends his summers in Maine.
George Bush Jr. spends his summers in Crawford Texas, driving visiting
dignitaries around his property in one hundred degree heat to look at
the trees on his ranch. Only a real Texan behaves that way.

You know, this is a good point. There are a lot of ways he reminds me of
my dad.

I don't like most of his politics, but I honestly don't think he's an
idiot, I think he just has major trouble with communication skills. His
dad's the same way, just not quite as bad.

--
Suzanne http://cshardie.tripod.com