Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Gary Harper

Default St. Aug or Zoysia?

I have a bald spot in my yard about 6' x 6'. I can't tell if my grass is
St. Aug or Zoysia. Which should I patch with? The old grass died because
it got too much sun/heat the summer before last. It's starting to recover
but I am tired of looking at it.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

St. Augustine has a very wide (1/4") blade and is coarse looking. Spreads by
above rhizomes. Zoysia is a very fine textured blade, at about (1/6") inch and
is much thicker and harder to mow without a high mower.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

To go with your native shrubs, how about mulch and native ground covers?
It is more productive than
turf. Frog fruit is awesome as both butterfly host and food and cover.
Wedelia, sedges, Gulf Muhly, Bluestem, Side-oats Grama (Texas State
Grass, you live in Autin, right?)
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/Dscn0305a.jpg =

Gary Harper wrote:
=

I have a bald spot in my yard about 6' x 6'. I can't tell if my grass =

is
St. Aug or Zoysia. Which should I patch with? The old grass died beca=

use
it got too much sun/heat the summer before last. It's starting to reco=

ver
but I am tired of looking at it.
=

Thanks,
Gary

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
jamie

animaux wrote:
St. Augustine has a very wide (1/4") blade and is coarse looking. Spreads by
above rhizomes. Zoysia is a very fine textured blade, at about (1/6") inch and
is much thicker and harder to mow without a high mower.

I think I'd call Zoysia more of a medium than fine blade (compared
to say, Buffalo or Bermuda). I'm pretty sure the Zoysia is a darker
green than St. Augustine, as well as being narrower than St. A., and
the Zoysia blades tend to curl when drying out, so that they look sort
of like needle-ish. I tried a few plugs of Zoysia in a few bare spots,
but I didn't like the way they looked, and pulled them out.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
chris

"jamie" wrote in message ...
animaux wrote:
St. Augustine has a very wide (1/4") blade and is coarse looking. Spreads by
above rhizomes. Zoysia is a very fine textured blade, at about (1/6") inch and
is much thicker and harder to mow without a high mower.

I think I'd call Zoysia more of a medium than fine blade (compared
to say, Buffalo or Bermuda).

Depends! Some are as fine or finer than common bermuda grass and
a new one I'm trying right now is as wide as St. Augustine. (Empire)

Chris In Arid Austin
USDA Zn 8b Sunset Zn 30

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Al Hanke

Take a sample of your grass down to the nearest nursery/garden center. They
should be able to tell you what kind it is...

Al Hanke

[IBC] Bonsai Chat Aug 25 Jim Bonsai 0 24-08-2003 05:03 PM
Cichlid Club! Anaheim, CA Aug 16th SanDiegoFishes Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 14-08-2003 04:32 PM
[IBC] Bonsai Chat Aug 11 Jim Bonsai 0 10-08-2003 03:23 PM
San Diego Fish CLub & Auction, Sun, Aug 10th! SanDiegoFishes Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 08-08-2003 07:06 PM
[IBC] Bonsai Chat Aug 4 Jim Bonsai 0 03-08-2003 03:42 PM