Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Mary Anne

Default Tomatoes

OK, I have a problem with growing tomatoes. I have tried to grow them in
the garden and in pots both. I plant a tomatoes they look good they are
green and they put on bloom. Then the blooms wither and die. Nada no
tomatoes. This has happened for the last two years.
Anyone one out there that can help will be appreciated.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
gary

Not enough specifics there. If they look good through the blooming stage,
then you are getting no tomatoes and the plants wither and die, and you are
watering them OK, then it might be one of the following:

(1) Early blight. My plants got it this year and they almost all died.
This is a fungus disease that turns the leaves yellow, spreads through the
plants and kills them all. Very common. You have to correctly diagnose it
and get to them early with a fungicide. Look it up on the web, find a
picture of the leaves and compare with your plants.
(2) Spider mites. Also very common. Almost microscopic spiders that weave
tiny webs among the leaves, which turn brown and eventually the whole plant
dies. You can kill the mites with various miticides, natural and unnatural.

There are all kinds of other possibilities -- bad soil, too much water,
wrong fertilization, no enough sun, other diseases, other insects, etc.

More details?

gary

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
John T. Jarrett

The bonsai newsgroup has a 'white-paper' test for spider mites that might be
helpful in a diagnosis:

Shake the leaves over a white piece of paper and watch the dirt and dust
particles that fall on the paper. If they move, then they are mites.

Most people claim the mites are too small to see.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
m...