Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Whit

Default Agave pups?

When is a good time to separate them from the family? And how is it
done?

A neighbor gave us 4 pups last year, they are now about 18"-24"
tall/wide/circumference, several have little 4"-6" pups, really cute but
I'd like to transplant them somewhere else.

I thought it was blue agave I had, but after googling I don't think they
are. They are the common, thick bladed, frosty blue-green type that can
grow quite large, they leave an image of the next blades thorns on the
previous blade as they grow.

Thanks

Here's hoping for snow this year! clink
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

I'm not sure of your answer but based on what this sas, it leads me to
believe that you might want to wait for warmer weather to do this:

Agave americana
Ah - gah - vee uh - mare - i - kon - uh =

Century Plant

=B7 Native to Mexico
=B7 The gray, sword-shaped leaves, arranged in a basal rosette, are up to=

5 feet long, nearly 10 inches wide, and are curved at the tip and
toothed at the margins
=B7 Said to be cold-hardy to 12 degrees F with little damage to the leave=
=B7 Best grown with afternoon shade in hot, humid climates
=B7 Stays smaller when potted, but outdoors grows to about 4 feet high an=
4 feet wide =

=B7 Requires minimum watering in spring and summer, and best kept dry in
the winter
=B7 Fertilize when watering with cactus fertilizer or one recommended for=

tomatoes
=B7 As with all types of Agave, the effort to produce the flowers exhaust=
the plant which dies within a short time; it reproduces thanks to the
seeds dispersed in the wind and the lateral shoots produced at the base
of the stem just before it dies
=B7 Pests include the red spider mite and mealy bugs =

Agave americana 'Marginata'
Ah - gah - vee uh - mare - i - kon - uh marj - in - a - tuh =

Variegated Century Plant

=B7 Marginata has margins of yellowish-white to deep yellow

Agave victoriae-reginae

Uh - gov - ee vik - tore - ee - a - ee rej - in - a
=

=B7 Native to Mexico ( Coahila, Chihuahua desert) where it grows mainly i=
calcareous soil characterized by a desert or semi-desert environment;
large colonies may often be found growing along the steep slopes of the
canyons
=B7 The green leaves with their strongly marked white borders are short =

(15-20 cm), rigid and Propagate by seed or leaf cuttings from base
shoots that nearly always have roots already thick and grow close
together, with a short and robust black thorn at the end of each leaf
=B7 The inflorescence, a spike that grows several feet high, contains man=
paired flowers of various colors, often shades of purple red
=B7 It requires well-drained soil and exposure to sunlight
=B7 It should be kept dry in winter, but water well during spring and
summer, adding potassium-rich fertilizer

jk

Whit wrote:
=

When is a good time to separate them from the family? And how is it
done?
=

A neighbor gave us 4 pups last year, they are now about 18"-24"
tall/wide/circumference, several have little 4"-6" pups, really cute bu=

I'd like to transplant them somewhere else.
=

I thought it was blue agave I had, but after googling I don't think the=

are. They are the common, thick bladed, frosty blue-green type that can=

grow quite large, they leave an image of the next blades thorns on the
previous blade as they grow.
=

Thanks
=

Here's hoping for snow this year! clink

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

I had some spare time so I found some good links for you:

http://www.botany.com/agave.htm
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...eae/Agave.html
http://www.dbg.org/Collections/agave.html
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/aloes027.html
http://www.succulent-plant.com/agave.html

After reading you only water them in summer and they live in a
relatively narrow zone range, I'd wait until warm weather to sub-divide.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Whit wrote:
=

[...]

Asiatic Lily pups Higgs Boson Gardening 2 17-04-2010 06:49 AM
Agave Tenuata pups Linda H Australia 2 07-02-2007 12:02 PM
We got pups Srgnt Billko Lawns 2 06-11-2006 10:47 PM
New pups on the way Srgnt Billko Lawns 0 21-10-2006 01:18 AM
Agave pups Victor Martinez Texas 8 26-04-2005 02:30 PM