Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Hank Hill

Default Hope for a Barkess Tree ?

I have a tree that has shed portions of it's bark- lower limbs, mostly, and
some on the trunk. I don't think the tree can live long like that. Of
course, it could be a lot tougher than I give it credit for- it's a hardy
survivor of many harsh winters, bark or not. Is there something on the
market which will seal raw wood, until the tree can heal/form new bark?
Thanks

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

Just leave it. Many of the products they sell for wound care only serves to
hasten disease. Trees have natural hormones which will heal the wound. Take a
look at www.dirtdoctor.com and search that site for "sick tree treatment."
Unless the bark is removed all the way around, leave the tree and follow the
instructions on the website I provided.

Victoria

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Robbin

There are trees that normally shed portions of their bark. Can you describe
this tree. Maybe someone can identify it.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Hank Hill

I think it's some kind of Ash. Big, broad, shiny green leaves- sawtooth
edged. Sort of grey bark. I've noticed that it leafs later than many other
trees in this area. We have really crappy soil- lots of clay. Got another
tree like it close to the house- stout trunk, but not all that tall. I never
paid them much mind, before this.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Babberney

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:53:48 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Just leave it. Many of the products they sell for wound care only serves to
hasten disease. Trees have natural hormones which will heal the wound.

Not to nitpick, but trees do not "heal" like animals. They have no
immune system or similar response. A tree responds to wounding by a
system known as CODIT (compartmentalization of decay in trees).
Internally, vascular tissue that has been broken will be plugged
physically while chemical barriers resist spread of decay inward. The
strongest defense is the layer of tissue that forms over the outside
of the wound. This layer forms quite readily when a branch has been
removed properly (leaving the branch collar, which forms the new
tissue) but not so well in a case like this one where bark has come
off the trunk. I do agree with Victoria that there isn't much that
can be done by treating the wound, and addressing the soil's health
will do more for the tree than anything.

More on wound dressings: http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/dress.html

More on wound response:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/SHIGO/AUTO.html

Keith