Old 08-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Betsy

Default shade tol. vines?

Hi all - I have a large planter built onto the house and about 5 feet off
the ground. It gets a few hours of direct morning sunlight and then several
hours of bright indirect light. Any advice about cascading vining plants I
could put in it, something that would tolerate summer heat but not need much
direct light? the planter is no more than 18 inches deep so it probably
couldn't be a large woody vine, just something herbaceous.

thanks! betsy

Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Texensis

"Betsy" wrote in message
| Hi all - I have a large planter built onto the house and about 5
feet off
| the ground. It gets a few hours of direct morning sunlight and then
several
| hours of bright indirect light. Any advice about cascading vining
plants I
| could put in it, something that would tolerate summer heat but not
need much
| direct light? the planter is no more than 18 inches deep so it
probably
| couldn't be a large woody vine, just something herbaceous.
|
| thanks! betsy

Old-fashioned trailing/climbing nasturtiums might be tried. You'd
probably need to send away for the seeds (Burpee usually has them).
Nasturtiums were never favorites here, but they've become valuable in
just the circumstances you describe. They made it through the entire
summer's heat in terra-cotta pots, and through the winter also, and
are now blooming like crazy again. They make better trailers than
climbers. There is a lavender lantana that trails. Some types of thyme
and oregano would be pretty in the circumstances you describe. They
really don't seem to care for summer sun all day long and have done
well trailing from pots.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:44 PM
animaux

Take a look he

http://gardeninglaunchpad.com/txnativevine.html

Old 10-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Betsy

Hi - thanks for the response - and this list was really informative. The
trouble for me is the shaded location, however. Most of these look like they
need full sun. Any additional advice much appreciated!

Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 AM
animaux

Try this venue:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/vines/

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:36:07 -0500, "Betsy" wrote:

Hi - thanks for the response - and this list was really informative. The
trouble for me is the shaded location, however. Most of these look like they
need full sun. Any additional advice much appreciated!

.. .

Old 12-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Mr. Chaos 007

I would try maybe a purple potato vine, even a hops vine if you are into
something like that. Also Passion flowers would work great for that
location. They have beautiful and very intense shaped flowers. We sell these
all and have a pretty good selection now.

Good Luck
dave
Gardens of the Ancients
www.gardensoftheancients.com

Old 12-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Mr. Chaos 007

"Betsy" wrote in message
Hi all - I have a large planter built onto the house and about 5 feet off
the ground. It gets a few hours of direct morning sunlight and then

several
hours of bright indirect light. Any advice about cascading vining plants I
could put in it, something that would tolerate summer heat but not need

much
direct light? the planter is no more than 18 inches deep so it probably
couldn't be a large woody vine, just something herbaceous.

thanks! betsy

Tol Popoki 'Mitzi' HCC/AOS v_coerulea Orchid Photos 2 17-04-2008 04:35 PM
Tol Sniffen 'Jennifer Dauro' X Onc Barbie 'Strawberry Delight' V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 11:07 PM
Tol unknown V_coerulea Orchid Photos 1 05-04-2007 03:21 PM
Tol Robsan 'Orchid World' x Rdcdm Rose Ganaucheau 'Hackneau' V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 05-04-2007 12:23 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM