Old 02-05-2006, 04:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
carol k

Default My lawn looks crappy - any suggestions?

I recently bought a house as is, and the lawn looks like crap. The
previous owner neglected to water it regularly and keep it maintained,
so half of the lawn is pretty much dead/weedy. It's St. Ausgustine
grass.

Any suggestions on how to redo my lawn? I don't have a lot of money,
so I can't hire a contractor or buy a truckload of new St. Ausgustine.
I'm thinking along the line of renting a tiller and reseeding it with
another kind of grass (What kind of grass can coexist with St.
Ausgustine?)... What's the best way to approach this project? I've
asked people at Home Depot and they weren't very helpful.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:34 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

"carol k" wrote in message
I recently bought a house as is, and the lawn looks like crap. The
previous owner neglected to water it regularly and keep it maintained,
so half of the lawn is pretty much dead/weedy. It's St. Ausgustine
grass.

Any suggestions on how to redo my lawn? I don't have a lot of money,
so I can't hire a contractor or buy a truckload of new St. Ausgustine.
I'm thinking along the line of renting a tiller and reseeding it with
another kind of grass (What kind of grass can coexist with St.
Ausgustine?)... What's the best way to approach this project? I've
asked people at Home Depot and they weren't very helpful.

(1) get a bag of cheap grass seed. Scarify the soil (rough it up w/ a rake)
where bald. Spread the seed and stomp it down to get good soil contact.
Top dress it with soil or compost to keep the birds from spotting it. Keep
it watered for the next few weeks - every day for short periods will keep
them moist without washing away the seed. This will at least result in
something more or less uniform green in color and probably acceptable enough
if one doesn't look to closely.

(2) Realize that we're going into the time of year that's hardest on lawns,
which aren't really adapted for this climate anyway, and be philosopical
about the fact that the yard will look like crap until you have the time and
resources to replace the neglected lawn properly, perhaps this fall when the
weather cools.

(3) Get creative and replace with something other than lawn. Native grasses
and plants, colored gravels, etc. This can be done piecemeal as you have
the finances, if you start with a well thought out plan. Keep your eyes
open when you drive around your neighborhood, or visit some *real* nurseries
in the area, partial list below. This may not be an acceptable option for
you - you may like the look of lawn, have children, or CCRs that prohibit
anything but that stretch of suburban green. Again, this is not Merrie Olde
Englande where the perfectly manicured lawn is "native." Since you're
fighting nature, lawns here require considerable time and resources to
maintain.

http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com/index.html

http://www.bigredsun.com/site/tweet.html

http://www.hillcountrywatergardens.com/

http://howardnursery.com/

http://www.itsajungleaustin.com/

http://www.tedstrees.com/

No web site:

Utility Research Garden, 638 Tillery St., Austin TX 78702, (512) 386-9453.

Barton Springs Nursery, 3601 Bee Caves Rd Austin TX 78746, (512) 328-6655

Great Outdoors, 2730 S Congress Ave Austin, TX 78704, (512) 448-2992

Old 02-05-2006, 11:09 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

If anything, I'd spend my money on a good dethatching procedure and
make sure you water very deeply every five days and the grass will
fill in. You can cut your own plugs and put them into the areas where
there is no turf now. After you water it well for a few weeks,
fertilize it with a quality product. For turf I like Bradfield
alfalfa pellets, but Sustane or Lady Bug is also a great product.

If you continue to mow regularly, water deeply and fertilize it, you
will fast have a lovely lawn.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:13 PM posted to austin.gardening
carol k

On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:09:55 GMT, Jangchub wrote:

If anything, I'd spend my money on a good dethatching procedure and
make sure you water very deeply every five days and the grass will
fill in. You can cut your own plugs and put them into the areas where
there is no turf now. After you water it well for a few weeks,
fertilize it with a quality product. For turf I like Bradfield
alfalfa pellets, but Sustane or Lady Bug is also a great product.

If you continue to mow regularly, water deeply and fertilize it, you
will fast have a lovely lawn.

What's considered a good dethatching procedure for my lawn? And how
much do you think it would cost?
Old 03-05-2006, 01:15 PM posted to austin.gardening
carol k

On Tue, 02 May 2006 15:34:19 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

"carol k" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thank you for your wonderful reply. I don't have many options as far
as the front yard because of the deed restrictions, but the back yard
is definitely a candidate for something other than grass.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Wed, 03 May 2006 06:13:28 -0600, carol k
wrote:

What's considered a good dethatching procedure for my lawn? And how
much do you think it would cost?

You can rent the machine or pay someone to do it. Call around and get
prices. I don't know how big your lawn is. It shouldn't cost too
much and certainly will be helpful. If you can't afford that, see if
you can hire someone to do core aeration. You can call one of the
better garden centers for a recommendation.

The Natural Gardener
Barton Springs Garden Center
The Great Outdoors