Old 30-06-2006, 03:33 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Default how to kill fire ants in large planters?

Jonny wrote, On 6/28/2006 8:59 PM:
"Cindy" wrote in message
. com...

You got my giggle for the day. Thanks, Cindy.

I aim to please.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:05 PM posted to austin.gardening
Happybattles

Coax 'em out overnight with some dry dog food in another container that's
burnable. Toss the container in the bbq pit. Works with carpenter ants,
not sure about fire ants. Using "come and get it" dog food.

Normally, I use Amdro for fire ants. Never used it in a plant container
though. It kills 'em, just not right away.

AAAAAAHAHAHA!
What about the queen(s)?
What about the 90% of the workers who didn't leave the nest?
What about the nest budding because they lost so many workers all at
once?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...control?lnk=li

Old 04-07-2006, 03:05 PM posted to austin.gardening
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

I have been reading this thread almost from its beginning, and have not read how
big your planter is (no pun intended).

Depending on the size, any size planter, you need to start by emptying the
planter. Clean it good and refill with new potting soil and plant a new plant
in it. If you use the old original plant, it may contain some of the old ants
or maybe the queen and your problems will only start again. As to the dirt,
spread it evenly over the lawn - NOT THE FLOWER BEDS - then spread some Andros
over the dirt. That should take care of it.

Ray
South Austin
===

Old 04-07-2006, 04:02 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

* Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote, On 7/4/2006 9:05 AM:

I have been reading this thread almost from its beginning, and have not
read how big your planter is (no pun intended).

Depending on the size, any size planter, you need to start by emptying
the planter. Clean it good and refill with new potting soil and plant a
new plant in it. If you use the old original plant, it may contain some
of the old ants or maybe the queen and your problems will only start
again. As to the dirt, spread it evenly over the lawn - _NOT THE FLOWER
BEDS_ - then spread some Andros over the dirt. That should take care of
it.

Ray

Actually I have pots of plants of all sizes all over the yard. Some are
waiting to be planted, some stay in the pots. They aren't all full of
ants, but there are several. Some need to be repotted anyway and I'll
take your advice on them, but I think I'll just spread plenty of Amdro.
Thanks!
Cindy