Old 25-06-2006, 09:03 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Default how to kill fire ants in large planters?

Hi guys,
What's the best thing to use to kill fire ants in large planters?
I put Over 'n Out on my lawn AND in most of the planters, but still the
ants are in some of them. Did I not use enough? (It's one of the
granular 9-month fire ant killers.) I have a jug of Diazinon and prefer
not to use it, but if that's the best option, I will.

TIA,
Cindy
Old 25-06-2006, 09:07 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Cindy wrote:

Hi guys,
What's the best thing to use to kill fire ants in large planters?
I put Over 'n Out on my lawn AND in most of the planters, but still the
ants are in some of them. Did I not use enough? (It's one of the
granular 9-month fire ant killers.) I have a jug of Diazinon and prefer
not to use it, but if that's the best option, I will.

TIA,
Cindy

Amdro.

Throw the diazinon in the trash. Please. :-(

You don't need it.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 25-06-2006, 09:20 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
Cindy wrote:

Amdro.

Throw the diazinon in the trash. Please. :-(

You don't need it.

I know....it's bad s***. But I just got a nasty handful of welts from
those little demons. How fast will the Amdro work?

Thanks,
Cindy
Old 25-06-2006, 09:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Cindy wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
Cindy wrote:

Amdro.

Throw the diazinon in the trash. Please. :-(

You don't need it.

I know....it's bad s***. But I just got a nasty handful of welts from
those little demons. How fast will the Amdro work?

Thanks,
Cindy

Usually in less than a week.
Sevin works faster (like within an hour) but it causes them to move the
mound. Amdro kills it!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 25-06-2006, 10:13 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:20:34 GMT, Cindy wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
Cindy wrote:

Amdro.

Throw the diazinon in the trash. Please. :-(

You don't need it.

I know....it's bad s***. But I just got a nasty handful of welts from
those little demons. How fast will the Amdro work?

Thanks,
Cindy

It takes a week or so, but it's really quite simple to keep your arms
out of container plants.

Old 25-06-2006, 11:21 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:20:34 GMT, Cindy wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
Cindy wrote:

Amdro.

Throw the diazinon in the trash. Please. :-(

You don't need it.

I know....it's bad s***. But I just got a nasty handful of welts from
those little demons. How fast will the Amdro work?

Thanks,
Cindy

It takes a week or so, but it's really quite simple to keep your arms
out of container plants.

giggles
Trueism........ ;-)

I've had problems with neighbors that use diazinon.
It kills all the birds.

For weeks.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 26-06-2006, 02:04 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:20:34 GMT, Cindy wrote:

It takes a week or so, but it's really quite simple to keep your arms
out of container plants.

Well sure it is, once you know the ants are there, Miss Snide.
Old 26-06-2006, 03:26 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Old 26-06-2006, 06:32 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Coax 'em out overnight with some dry dog food in another container that's
burnable. Toss the container in the bbq pit. Works with carpenter ants,
not sure about fire ants. Using "come and get it" dog food.

Normally, I use Amdro for fire ants. Never used it in a plant container
though. It kills 'em, just not right away.

Thanks, I'll go for the Amdro. Don't have a barbeque pit.
Old 26-06-2006, 06:33 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

I have an impressive collection of Brugmansia and Datura, along with
citrus and all are in containers between 20 and 30 gallons. I never
have to stuff my arms into the containers whether or not there are
ants in there. I'm not being snide, but sorry if you thought I was.

They do tend to boil up over the edges when you move the pots.

Old 26-06-2006, 07:45 AM posted to austin.gardening
Becky

Throw the diazinon in the trash. Please. :-(

You don't need it.

Please don't throw diazinon in the trash!

Take it to a hazardous waste disposal center. This site gives details of
Austin's hazardous waste disposal for homeowners:
http://www.austin360.com/homes/conte...clehazard.html

Becky

Old 26-06-2006, 01:32 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 05:33:57 GMT, Cindy wrote:

I have an impressive collection of Brugmansia and Datura, along with
citrus and all are in containers between 20 and 30 gallons. I never
have to stuff my arms into the containers whether or not there are
ants in there. I'm not being snide, but sorry if you thought I was.

They do tend to boil up over the edges when you move the pots.

Put out the Amdro and don't move the pots for a few weeks.
Old 28-06-2006, 03:48 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"Cindy" wrote in message
. com...

Coax 'em out overnight with some dry dog food in another container that's
burnable. Toss the container in the bbq pit. Works with carpenter ants,
not sure about fire ants. Using "come and get it" dog food.

Normally, I use Amdro for fire ants. Never used it in a plant container
though. It kills 'em, just not right away.

Thanks, I'll go for the Amdro. Don't have a barbeque pit.

Arghhh, no pit. Not even a simple charcoal grill?
Am blessed here with multiple acres of two kinds of oaks. Have to do
something with those that die, or need some pruning. Also have a burn pit
for my paper refuse. Its fun burning those credit card mail advertisements.
Ya gotta try it...
--
Jonny

Old 28-06-2006, 02:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jonny wrote, On 6/27/2006 9:48 PM:
"Cindy" wrote in message
. com...

Arghhh, no pit. Not even a simple charcoal grill?
Am blessed here with multiple acres of two kinds of oaks. Have to do
something with those that die, or need some pruning. Also have a burn pit
for my paper refuse. Its fun burning those credit card mail advertisements.
Ya gotta try it...

No, I don't have a grill. I live in a subdivision that was razed of
trees, with a homeowners' association run by anal retentives. But just
yesterday, I wrote "metal bucket" on my Home Depot list so I can burn my
junk mail.
Old 29-06-2006, 02:59 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

. com...
"Cindy" wrote in message
. com...

Arghhh, no pit. Not even a simple charcoal grill?
Am blessed here with multiple acres of two kinds of oaks. Have to do
something with those that die, or need some pruning. Also have a burn
pit for my paper refuse. Its fun burning those credit card mail
advertisements. Ya gotta try it...

No, I don't have a grill. I live in a subdivision that was razed of
trees, with a homeowners' association run by anal retentives. But just
yesterday, I wrote "metal bucket" on my Home Depot list so I can burn my
junk mail.

You got my giggle for the day. Thanks, Cindy.
--
Jonny