Old 30-06-2006, 07:11 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

Default Pepper Plants WIlting During the Day

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
All my peeper plants wilt during the heat of the day, and come
perk back up after dusk the wee hours of the morning. The wilting
I fear keeps them from getting enough sun, and the stems of the
peppers don't seem to be as strong as they should be.

Is this normal, and if not, is there a way to prevent this?

-sw

I don't know if it's "normal" but I know that my peppers do that as well,
even if just watered.

Too much sun also burns the bell types; the hot peppers are unaffected.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 30-06-2006, 09:10 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:11:22 GMT, Mike Harris wrote:

Too much sun also burns the bell types; the hot peppers are unaffected.

These happen uniformly across the bells, bananas, habs, and
serranos. The stems attaching the peppers get so limp that I
think they're gonna drop in moderate wind or rain.

But as long as it's not uncommon...

It just seems this would be affecting their photon intake since
the leaves are curling up. Their growth seems kinda stunted
lately.

-sw

Do you have a stink bug / harlequin bug infestation, by chance?
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 14-07-2006, 08:32 PM posted to austin.gardening
Libralove

Steve Wertz wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:11:22 GMT, Mike Harris wrote:

Too much sun also burns the bell types; the hot peppers are unaffected.

These happen uniformly across the bells, bananas, habs, and
serranos. The stems attaching the peppers get so limp that I
think they're gonna drop in moderate wind or rain.

But as long as it's not uncommon...

It just seems this would be affecting their photon intake since
the leaves are curling up. Their growth seems kinda stunted
lately.

-sw

Yes, Steve, the solar heat and radiation with no rain has lasted a long
time this year and seems relentless.

I water *everything* at dusk *everyday* or lose it. The peppers (I have
all types) especially do NOT require full all day sun, so off to the
side on the east or north side works fine in this heat and constant sun
-- if they are in containers -- move them to part-sun areas.

Regards, LL