Old 02-06-2008, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fox during the day?

A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
just done a daring daylight raid taking all the bread that was on the
floor before legging it.

Is it very abnormal to see them during the day?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 02-06-2008, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mogga writes:
| A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
| just done a daring daylight raid taking all the bread that was on the
| floor before legging it.
|
| Is it very abnormal to see them during the day?

Unusual, but not abnormal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
news
A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
just done a daring daylight raid taking all the bread that was on the
floor before legging it.

Is it very abnormal to see them during the day?

Not in urban areas.

All the chicken victims of fox in our garden have been killed during the
day.

Fox have been into our garden when we've been around. They've looked at us
(seemingly) indignantly and haven't run off as cats do but sauntered. They
are very bold.

Mary

Old 02-06-2008, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mogga
writes
A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
just done a daring daylight raid taking all the bread that was on the
floor before legging it.

Is it very abnormal to see them during the day?

It does tend to happen at this time of year invariably due the presence
of demanding cubs. They are in need of frequent feeds and the vixens
are either having to forage during daylight hours now that the cubs have
been weaned or, as is the case with our senior vixen, there is a need
for some peace and quiet which she can find in our garden while last
year's youngsters act as nannies.

It can also happen, at any time of year, where a fox is sick or injured
and has to forage over an extended period in an attempt to find enough
to keep it going.

--
Robert

Old 02-06-2008, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"robert" wrote in message
In message , mogga
writes
A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
just done a daring daylight raid taking all the bread that was on the
floor before legging it.

Is it very abnormal to see them during the day?

It does tend to happen at this time of year invariably due the presence of
demanding cubs. They are in need of frequent feeds and the vixens are
either having to forage during daylight hours now that the cubs have been
weaned or, as is the case with our senior vixen, there is a need for some
peace and quiet which she can find in our garden while last year's
youngsters act as nannies.

It can also happen, at any time of year, where a fox is sick or injured
and has to forage over an extended period in an attempt to find enough to
keep it going.

But our chickens have been killed and left, not eaten. One was found without
her head, hardly a meal for a fox.

Mary

Old 02-06-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/6/08 16:35, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2/6/08 16:08, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 15:32:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 2/6/08 15:14, in article
,
"mogga" wrote:

A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
just done a daring daylight raid taking all the bread that was on the
floor before legging it.

Is it very abnormal to see them during the day?

Unusual but it does happen. I've seen them dash across a lane here a few
times and Ray tells me there used to be a big old dog fox that sat at the
top of the field behind us, just watching everyone.

There used to be an old one that wondered around the car park where I
worked.
It and others lived under a wooden prefab building.

There's a spinney at the top of the back field and a large pine wood a bit
further away, so I imagine they like those for shelter.

We see them all the time these days. Yesterday we saw our first

hedgehog in the garden after some 20 years or mo great celebration!
This afternoon my husband looked out of the window to see the fox
galloping off with what looked very much like a rolled-up hedgehog :-(((

Oh dear! Well, at least you know why you haven't seen hedgehogs for a long
time! My daughter, who lives a few hundred yards from us gets them all the
time but we rarely see them. I just wonder if that's because it's easier
for badgers to get into our garden than hers.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Klara
writes

[...]

That is interesting. I have not heard of a fox taking a hedgehog before
unless it was a baby without hard spines. As far as I was aware the
only thing to predate on hedgehogs (other than man/cars) is the badger
which is strong enough to prise them apart and get at the spineless
bits.
--
Robert

Old 02-06-2008, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
news
A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
just done a daring daylight raid taking all the bread that was on the
floor before legging it.

Is it very abnormal to see them during the day?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

We were rather surprised to see a beautiful Dog Fox ambling up the garden in
broad daylight not long ago. By the time I picked the camera up, he had
nipped over to next door. Doubled back to our neighbour the other side then
vanished :-))

Mike

Old 02-06-2008, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:05:21 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
news
A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
just done a daring daylight raid taking all the bread that was on the
floor before legging it.

Is it very abnormal to see them during the day?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

We were rather surprised to see a beautiful Dog Fox ambling up the garden in
broad daylight not long ago. By the time I picked the camera up, he had
nipped over to next door. Doubled back to our neighbour the other side then
vanished :-))

Mike

My other half was quick enough I think to grab a pic on his mobile.
It looked healthier than the one I've seen at night anyway.
Thanks to all!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mogga" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:05:21 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
news
A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
just done a daring daylight raid taking all the bread that was on the
floor before legging it.

Is it very abnormal to see them during the day?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

SNIP

We have had foxes living just over the fence at the bottom of our garden
for nearly 30 years, the hedgerow is bordering a school playing field, but
was a market garden and nursery before that. normally only see them at
night when they set security light off strolling down the garden.

Last year my wife and I wandered down the garden and found a young fox lying
on the gravel enjoying the sun, when we got within 8 foot of him/her it
jumped the fence into next doors and proceeded to lay on the slabs beside
their pond and soak up the sun, stayed there for some time until one of our
dogs barked for attention, and calmly strolled off and over the fence at the
bottom. Hows that for cheek.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/6/08 20:39, in article , "cineman"
wrote:

"Mogga" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:05:21 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
news A bit OTT I know - but I've never seen the fox during the day. It's
[...]

Or mange? ;-( It slows them down, makes them less swiftly responsive. I
hope I'm wrong.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

hope I am wrong.

It looked fit and healthy, couple of days later saw it racing across the
school playing fields from the gardens across the field, with what sounded
like a large dog barking its head off in the gardens.
Few years ago, my daughter saw one in our garden, she was looking after the
house whilst we were on hols. Had nasty gash on its hind leg, left food out
for it for few weeks, on the advice of PDSA, after that saw it fit and well.
think it has become so used to us being around not so scared anymore.
regards
Cineman