Old 28-11-2003, 03:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default OT Conversations during Turkey Day

I'm sure someone can tear down this light-hearted history in a nut shell,
but.....

Interesting conversation that I could hear from the kitchen during Turkey
Day. My dad's teaches English to Agricultural Japanese students. They got
into a conversation about America always going to war. To which my dad
said, the countries we go to war with always come out ahead. We beat
Germany and now they are a rich country. We beat Japan, they became a rich
country, S.Korea, ditto and when we're done with Iraq they will become the
richest country in the middle east.

To which the Japanese student said, but what about Vietnam?

He said, We didn't win that war. ;o)~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 29-11-2003, 02:12 PM
mad

wasn't there a book/movie called 'the mouse that roared' about a tiny
country that declared war on the u s just so they'd lose and receive foriegn
aid?
mad
--
"What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork".
Pearl Bailey

Old 30-11-2003, 02:02 AM
KenCo

mad wrote:

wasn't there a book/movie called 'the mouse that roared' about a tiny
country that declared war on the u s just so they'd lose and receive foriegn
aid?
mad
--

it was made in the 60's I believe,
Peter Sellers played the lead.

They came over on the royal yacht and
landed in NY I think.

From: ~ jan JJsPond.us
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:36:39 -0800

I'm sure someone can tear down this light-hearted history in a nut shell,
but.....

Interesting conversation that I could hear from the kitchen during Turkey
Day. My dad's teaches English to Agricultural Japanese students. They got
into a conversation about America always going to war. To which my dad
said, the countries we go to war with always come out ahead. We beat
Germany and now they are a rich country. We beat Japan, they became a rich
country, S.Korea, ditto and when we're done with Iraq they will become the
richest country in the middle east.

To which the Japanese student said, but what about Vietnam?

He said, We didn't win that war. ;o)~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 30-11-2003, 02:43 AM
mad

o k.
mad
--
The one thing, more than any other, that the lessons of history teach us is
that no one ever learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Old 30-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Anne Lurie

Jan, with all due respect to your father (I also have a WWII vet in my
family unit), one point to consider is this (it was addressed in an article
about the possibilities for post-war reconstruction in Iraq):

Germany & Japan (not sure about S. Korea) were already industrialized
countries before WWII; when given aid, they could & did rebuild. I find it
difficult to imagine that the same could ever be said of Iraq. (Admittedly,
I don't have any statistics to cite about German or Japanese citizens
trashing the infrastructures of their own countries to compare with the
sabotaged facilities in Iraq.)

As for Vietnam, I don't think there were any winners there. I do, however,
admire George Aiken from Vermont, who suggested that the US simply "declare
victory and leave."

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 01-12-2003, 05:32 PM
PlainBill

To be boringly pedantic about it, the title was "The Mouse That
Roared" by Leonard Wibberley. I believe the book came first, but the
story also appeared as a play and a movie starring Peter Sellers.

There was even a sequel - "The Mouse on the Moon".

PlainBill

Old 02-12-2003, 08:02 PM
mad

thanx!
mad
--
"Ninety eight percent of the adults in this country are decent,
hardworking, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent

From: PlainBill
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:26:19 -0700

wrote:

wasn't there a book/movie called 'the mouse that roared' about a tiny
country that declared war on the u s just so they'd lose and receive foriegn
aid?
mad

Fruit conversations Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 4 12-07-2016 08:05 PM
Pepper Plants WIlting During the Day Victor Martinez Texas 1 30-06-2006 06:29 PM
Due to the big size of the World MultiConference in Izmir - Turkey, we added one more day in the eve WSEAS Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Plant Biology 0 30-06-2004 05:10 PM
Turkey Day tdreeves Ponds 34 03-12-2003 07:02 AM
real story of Turkey Day KenCo Ponds 1 29-11-2003 02:12 PM