Old 06-07-2006, 11:30 PM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

Default Snakes Alive

The missus and I have come across 4 snakes in the last couple of days
(before and after the big rain Tuesday in Cedar Park).

One of them was a black necked garter that had just apparently eaten one
of the neighborhood toads. Nice coloration but with an unsightly
waistline ;-)
http://www.texassnakes.net/BlackNeck.htm

Two of them were mostly gray and pretty small (6 in to 1 ft) that may be
earth snakes. These eat mostly earthworms :-(
http://www.austinreptileservice.net/...roughearth.jpg

The other one, seen only by my wife (who is both snake phobic and
obsessively attracted to snakes), was a black and yellow ringed
6-incher. It may have been a Texas kingsnake from the pics I've seen on
the net even though they are considered blotched, not ringed. In this
pic it is easy to imagine they look ringed from the top view. My wife
had looked down and it was right by her feet :-O
http://www.austinreptileservice.net/...gradeking2.jpg

I'm getting ready to replace an old landscape timber retaining wall that
one of the grays slithered into the other day. I'll let you know how it
comes out :-)

Snakes alive! Shocked gardener finds 17ft python in his allotment Smiley United Kingdom 8 15-01-2009 07:01 PM
Damned Snakes III Revenge of the snakes! Gareee© Ponds 1 09-06-2005 06:14 PM
Animals in the suburbs was Keeping snakes away Trish Brown Australia 1 23-09-2003 12:35 AM
Snakes Alive! FBCS Ponds 15 30-07-2003 01:23 AM
"Snakes" on PBS Kudzu Gardening 11 13-02-2003 12:55 PM