Old 28-07-2003, 04:42 AM
FBCS

Default Snakes Alive!

Plastic netting works keeping predators out. I put lettuce in the pond this
morning for the guys to munch on, upon returning from church I saw a piece
hung up in the lip of the puddle that goes to the lower pond and proceeded
to stick my hands down under the netting to get it loose. As I stood I saw
what made me holler for DH. Right where I was pulling the lettuce loose was
a big black snake caught in my netting (4-5 ft.) He was tangled up real
good. Took DH 30 min to cut him out and get him back in the woods. I said to
axe him, he came for lunch. My DH was compassionate telling me they eat mice
(my other cringe) we had to try to get him out (as the snake kept trying to
bite at him). Will these snakes eat my fish or will they dwell together?
Joann

Old 28-07-2003, 05:02 AM
K30a

Is is awfully dry where you are right now?
He might only be coming for a drink.
On the other hand there are snakes who eat fish.
He probably got such a fright he won't be back!

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/
Old 28-07-2003, 10:25 PM
RichToyBox

Most snakes are not at the pond for the fish. They love frogs, lizards,
mice, moles, voles, and other critters that are attracted to the bugs that
frequent the pond. Lots of people are afraid of them, but unless they are
one of the poisonous varieties, they are better left alone, to keep the food
supply down to a number that doesn't draw the poisonous snakes.
--
RichToyBox

Old 28-07-2003, 11:02 PM

In , on 07/28/03
at 03:36 AM, "FBCS" said:

Plastic netting works keeping predators out. I put lettuce in the pond
this morning for the guys to munch on, upon returning from church I saw a
piece hung up in the lip of the puddle that goes to the lower pond and
proceeded to stick my hands down under the netting to get it loose. As I
stood I saw what made me holler for DH. Right where I was pulling the
lettuce loose was a big black snake caught in my netting (4-5 ft.) He was
tangled up real good. Took DH 30 min to cut him out and get him back in
the woods. I said to axe him, he came for lunch. My DH was compassionate
telling me they eat mice (my other cringe) we had to try to get him out
(as the snake kept trying to bite at him). Will these snakes eat my fish
or will they dwell together? Joann

Black snakes eat rodents.

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 28-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Anne Lurie

I also think that snakes hang out around some ponds (mine, at least) because
it's a comfy place, not too hot or too cold.

I was *very* surprised a year or so ago to see a snake come out from its
hiding place under my teeny preformed water garden's lip -- apparently,
the space between the lip & the ground has a fairly even temperature, so he
could sun/cool himself to his heart's content.

I don't actually begrudge the snake his comfort -- unless he was the same
b***tard that got into my bluebird boxes -- but I sure would have liked
knowing the snake was there before I weeded that area by hand!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 29-07-2003, 02:14 AM
johnrutz

RichToyBox wrote:
Most snakes are not at the pond for the fish. They love frogs, lizards,
mice, moles, voles, and other critters that are attracted to the bugs that
frequent the pond. Lots of people are afraid of them, but unless they are
one of the poisonous varieties, they are better left alone, to keep the food
supply down to a number that doesn't draw the poisonous snakes.

--
Rich is right

I have at least three garter snakes in my pond they spend 99% of thier
time in the veggie bog where all the pond life exept for fish is
just once in a while Ill see one scootin across the koi pond heading to
the flower gardens and as they have been here for 2 yrs now I dont see
mice any more

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 29-07-2003, 02:42 PM
FBCS

I agree it would have been nice to know my arm was all around this reptile.
I can handle the snakes being around, it's a given since I live in a wooded
area. The same way I deal with lizards and mice. Mice I don't do well with
at all, hence my husband trying to convince me he was a good visitor. I
have learned to look before I weed my gardens.
My panic was that here is another predator after my fish. Grey Heron and
Osprey have cleaned me out prior netting, a suggestion from this group since
K30 said I can't shoot them. As big as this snake was I would have had an
empty pond. I have been looking to get rid of goldfish but not as lunch.
Joann

.com...

Old 29-07-2003, 03:04 PM
FBCS

It has been dry for a couple of weeks, that sounds strange since we thought
it would never stop raining here So. MD. We had a real good down pour last
evening, so much I had to go out with a flash light to see if any fish ended
up out side the ponds due to overflow.

I have been trying to see if he gobbled any fish, he had a real large middle
like he had a feast before getting caught. Joann

Old 29-07-2003, 04:06 PM
johnrutz

FBCS wrote:
What happens when it is time to clean the filters? Aghhhhh!
"johnrutz" wrote in message

as they are in the veggie filter (bog) they just get out of the way when
I get too close

Old 29-07-2003, 04:13 PM
johnrutz

FBCS wrote:
But Rich, how do you know the difference (poisonous or not)? Joann

Most american poisonous snakes are pit vipers so thier heads are
"triangle shaped" wider at the back of the head than the body.
the exeption to this is the Coral snake which is red,black,and yellow
striped around the body(i cant remember the exact order of the stripes )
but they have to get ahold of you and chew to do anything usualy between
fingers as they are rather small.
non poisonous snakes the head and body are pretymuch the same size

hope this helps a bit

Old 29-07-2003, 06:33 PM
K30a

John wrote Coral snake which is red,black,and yellow
striped around the body(i cant remember the exact order of the stripes )

Red on black, friend of Jack
Red on yellow, kill a fellow.

*All* we have are rattlesnakes around here.

I either had a young bullsnake or rattlesnake cruise into my house. After mass
hysteria and frenzied attempts to catch him, we never found him. He could still
be down there for all I know but I expect once Manic Mantra (eldest son's band)
moved into the familyroom the snake would have fled in extreme pain - so for
the first time in ten years I don't have to wonder anymore.

Old 29-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Dave Fouchey

Red and Yellow Kill A Fellow, Red Touch Black Venom Lack..

I might add this is only good for North American Coral Snakes! (Two
Species found one in the South east and one in the South West Texas
area)

Dave

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:23:57 -0600, johnrutz
wrote:

FBCS wrote:
But Rich, how do you know the difference (poisonous or not)? Joann

Most american poisonous snakes are pit vipers so thier heads are
"triangle shaped" wider at the back of the head than the body.
the exeption to this is the Coral snake which is red,black,and yellow
striped around the body(i cant remember the exact order of the stripes )
but they have to get ahold of you and chew to do anything usualy between
fingers as they are rather small.
non poisonous snakes the head and body are pretymuch the same size

hope this helps a bit

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern

Snakes alive! Shocked gardener finds 17ft python in his allotment Smiley United Kingdom 8 15-01-2009 07:01 PM
Snakes Alive jOhN Texas 0 06-07-2006 11:30 PM
Damned Snakes III Revenge of the snakes! Gareee© Ponds 1 09-06-2005 06:14 PM
Animals in the suburbs was Keeping snakes away Trish Brown Australia 1 23-09-2003 12:35 AM
"Snakes" on PBS Kudzu Gardening 11 13-02-2003 12:55 PM