Old 27-07-2006, 04:17 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Low mow, now dead lawn!

Okay, so I thought the grass looked nicer when it was mowed really
short. What did I know about St. Augustine and drought? We left town
for a few days after I mowed and the sprinklers stopped working while
we were gone. Go figure. So now the lawn is yellow and crispy with
patches of green. What can I do at this point? The soil is very
shallow, would it help to add a topsoil now? The sprinklers are set to
run for 15 minutes every morning, and I've heard this is no way to
water St. Aug. in dry conditions. But with such shallow soil, can we
really do the deep water/ skip a few days thing? The lawn is in full
sun. Should I broadcast some Bermuda? We're also considering cutting
out the yellow areas and creating xeriscape gardens, but that will have
to be done in phases since we're do-it-yourselfers. The HOA is bound to
get on us about it soon. Any advice would be great!

Old 27-07-2006, 04:40 PM posted to austin.gardening

"austinartistdotnet" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well, the advice I'm inclined to give, "move the h*** out of a neighborhood
with St Augustine lawns and HOAs" isn't likely to be well received. G

Google "turf dye." That ought to keep the HOA off your back for a little
while.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 27-07-2006, 04:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

austinartistdotnet wrote:
to be done in phases since we're do-it-yourselfers. The HOA is bound to
get on us about it soon. Any advice would be great!

You should never water every day. Deep waterings every 4-5 days are better.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 28-07-2006, 12:46 AM posted to austin.gardening

I'm afraid you St Augustine is gone.
1. Buy a pallet(s) of new grass and resod laying over the existing lawn
giving you a deeper soil layer
2. Plant bermuda which loves sun and will come back after such a incident
and needs less water.
3. Do the xeriscape thing
4. Let it go natural or plant a flower/veggie garden

good Luck

JEM

Old 28-07-2006, 03:40 AM posted to austin.gardening

Well, the advice I'm inclined to give, "move the h*** out of a neighborhood
with St Augustine lawns and HOAs" isn't likely to be well received. G

Oh! I so agree. I had no idea what an HOA was before I moved into my
house. Dirty bastids!

Old 28-07-2006, 04:01 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 02:40:19 GMT, Cindy wrote:

Well, the advice I'm inclined to give, "move the h*** out of a neighborhood
with St Augustine lawns and HOAs" isn't likely to be well received. G

Oh! I so agree. I had no idea what an HOA was before I moved into my
house. Dirty bastids!

Even if you don't have a HOA, there are deed restrictions put in place
by the original developer and the city. I am fortunate that my
development has no HOA, but if my neighbors wanted to they could call
the town and insist I remove a lot of the native plants out front
which look rangy for a period in the summer.
Old 29-07-2006, 01:18 AM posted to austin.gardening

"austinartistdotnet" wrote
a sad tale of woe and sorrow ...

Even the most militant of HOA's (like mine) would surely understand if you
simply explain that the sprinkler system failed while you were out of town
and the grass died. Do not bring up any of the other issues. Tell them you
are working with the County Extension Service to solve the problem. Mike's
idea of lawn dye might be a good temporary solution, but use something
gentle so as not to kill what's left or poison the soil.

I don't know much, nor care much, about lawns, but I know not to make those
mistakes ... so here's my 2 cents worth of advice:

Call your county extension service! It is their job to help you. See
http://texasextension.tamu.edu

Go to http://www.growgreen.org and read about proper lawn care.

Make sure it is not a chinch bug problem, acerbated by the lack of water.
See my post of 7/26/2006 Subject: Fw: summer pests -- Chiggers, Fleas,
Chinch bugs

Don't do anything rash right now. Grass can come back from the roots.

If the soil is deep enough to grow St. Augustine grass, it is deep enough
for you to follow the recommended watering regimen. I'm really curious as
to why you decided to not follow the recommendations. Did you fancy yourself
an expert?

Don't put topsoil over the grass unless you're going to re-sod it. Check
with your county extension service (or the Travis County Extension Service,
who frequently deal with lawn questions) and ask if there is a mulch or
compost you could apply and follow their advice (more is not better).

Don't plan your Xeriscape now because the lawn is in an unnatural state
(even for a lawn). I think a good way to Xeriscape is to replace difficult
or problem areas in an otherwise healthy lawn with Xeriscape landscaping.
The Travis County Extension Service will send you a Native and Adapted
Landscape Plants guide for free (supposedly $1 for non-Travis County
residents, but they never charge. Don't tell anyone else :-). Call
512-854-9600.

NEVER mow St. Augustine grass short again! It looks better tall. If you
really like the putting green look, plant a different grass.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt and CALL YOUR COUNTY EXTENSION
SERVICE!

j jhnsn

I'm not a Texas Master Gardener, but I sleep with one.

Old 29-07-2006, 05:07 AM posted to austin.gardening

"James Lee Johnson" wrote in message
[...]

While I agree that putting topsoil over St. Augustine at this time of the
season is probably inappropriate, putting topsoil down over St. Augustine
will work fine if done in 1" depth increments if kept irrigated in late
spring or early fall. In light of current drought, not appropriate until it
lets up.

A good looking cactus and rock lawn is appropriate for this drought. Not a
thing the HOA can say about it that carries any weight. In fact, would
probably draw return fire from politicos as they're becoming water conscious
as well.

My opinion is too treat the lawn for subsurface infestations, keep it mildly
irrigated as before. Hope for the best until we've seen the drought subside
for at least two month period during a growing season.
--
Jonny

Old 29-07-2006, 05:18 AM posted to austin.gardening

[...]

Problem is the shallow soil. Native soil here has no appreciable moisture
retention capabilities. The subsoil inhabitants are fighting over any
moisture if left unirrigated for any length of time. You do have the right
idea of adding topsoil. Just the wrong time of the year for doing so.

No one can take away your birthday, even the HOA.

Just go back to your watering routine until the time comes in fall you can
dump an inch or so of topsoil to the lawn. Or, wait till early spring/late
winter.
--
Jonny

Old 29-07-2006, 03:15 PM posted to austin.gardening

James Lee Johnson wrote:

If the soil is deep enough to grow St. Augustine grass, it is deep enough
for you to follow the recommended watering regimen. I'm really curious as
to why you decided to not follow the recommendations. Did you fancy yourself
an expert?

Well, I agree with the deep water/less often regimen. It's my stubborn
partner who thinks the soil is too shallow for it to work, so he
decided 15 minutes of water a day would be swell. And, by the way, he
fancies himself an expert at most things. I'll fiddle with the
sprinkler system while he's at work. That should fix it. *grin* Better
to apologize (or be thanked) later than to ask permission now, right?

Old 31-07-2006, 08:23 PM posted to austin.gardening

"austinartistdotnet" wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, I agree with the deep water/less often regimen. It's my stubborn
partner who thinks the soil is too shallow for it to work, so he
decided 15 minutes of water a day would be swell. And, by the way, he
fancies himself an expert at most things. I'll fiddle with the
sprinkler system while he's at work. That should fix it. *grin* Better
to apologize (or be thanked) later than to ask permission now, right?

Have you tried just watering it to see if it comes back. I was on a
week-long vacation a few years ago and came back to find that my St.
Augustine lawn had lard brown dead-looking swaths in it. I turned on the
sprinklers and it came right back. I do deep-water, so the roots were still
alive.

You may be surprised to find some of the roots still alive. Try watering
again. You may need to do nothing else.

Mike

Low Light, Low Water Plants Willow Australia 10 12-04-2011 12:53 AM
Anyone tried "No Mow" or "Eco-Lawn" grass seed, for low maintenance lawn? DK[_2_] Gardening 0 21-06-2007 06:04 PM
Mow, mow, mow Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 19-05-2007 04:10 AM
To mow or not to mow snafu Gardening 9 26-09-2004 01:05 PM
Why mow bermuda so low? Greg Gardening 3 01-07-2003 07:20 PM