Old 16-08-2006, 04:37 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Termite Advice

(Repost - Moved to new thread.)

Hi group!

A couple months back, I found termites under some thin hardboard I put down
to kill some grass alongside the house where I was planning to erect a
potting table.

I quickly picked that up and sent it to the trash, but later found that the
termites had migrated to the wood of my raised herb bed, also next to the
house. (It's made out of 2 x 12 planks and in retrospect, while I didn't
have any trouble for a couple of years, I see now that was exactly the wrong
thing to do. But no lectures please I'm definitely going to tear down the
wood herb bed and replace it with one made of cedar or concrete blocks.

I've done some reading online and am debating about whether to hire a
company to take care of this or to do it myself. Since termites aren't a
problem where I come from, I don't have any personal experience dealing with
them. The prevailing wisdom recommends removing the source of food, warmth
and moisture - (the wood planter), but I'm concerned that might result in
them moving into the wood siding of the house? It is dry and so far looks
untouched - which I don't think makes it attractive to termites, is that
correct?

I've read that some companies will send a jolt of electricity into the
ground to kill all the termites. Something like that appeals to me, because
I wouldn't be introducing any chemicals into the soil and having removed the
food source, they would hopefully not re-establish themselves near the house
again. Does anyone have any experience with that method?

From your own experience, how would you recommend that I proceed? Is
chemical termiticide the definitive way? Are there effective organic methods
you have tried? Do you have recommendations for termite control companies?

Any helpful information greatly accepted.
Thanks,
Teri
Cedar Park

--
If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him?

Old 17-08-2006, 04:09 AM posted to austin.gardening

"TLR" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

From your own experience, how would you recommend that I proceed? Is
chemical termiticide the definitive way? Are there effective organic
methods
you have tried? Do you have recommendations for termite control
companies?

Any helpful information greatly accepted.
Thanks,
Teri
Cedar Park

--
If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him?

Termites are no joke. I would rely on a professional with creditials to
certify your house and yard are termite free. Ask for a termite inspection
report at the finish of services. Be sure the individual is licensed in the
State of Texas to perform the work.

A mulching bin can breed termites as well. Don't use such made soil near
the house.
--
Jonny

Old 20-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Texas

Look for mud tunnels going up the side of your house from the ground. The termites travel through the tunnels so they can stay out of the sunlight. I am sure you will be able to find good information about termites on the net.

Yes, you can treat the termites yourself and save tons of money. To me the best method is to trench around the house. This evenly distributes the termiticide around your house producing a barrier of protection. Learn how to do trenching properly. Protect people and pets from getting into the poison. The place where you buy the termiticide should be able to tell you how to use the product. I have to trench my house every 6 years. We have a high termite population. Do not have shrubs or anything laying on the ground within two feet of your house. Say you lay a brick down close to your house. What happens is the moisture collects under the brick creating a perfect environment for the termites to hang out in. Termites will travel up into your house then from there to a source of water in your home.

A termite company is only as good as the termite technician who comes out to check your home. Your best bet is to do your own home inspection because you really do care about your home versus a tech who gets paid by the number of homes he inspects in a day. Should you decide to go with a termite company read their warranty carefully. It is written to protect the termite company not you. Understand what you read and ask lots of questions. Know that what the termite company says may not be what the warranty says and once you sign the contract you will have to abide by it.

Yes, its work to do treat your own home but think of all the money you will save and that the job was done right.

To me if you shock the ground killing termites, it will be no time before more replace the ones that may have been killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR
[...]

From your own experience, how would you recommend that I proceed? Is