Old 01-08-2006, 12:17 PM posted to aus.gardens
Pat Pat is offline

Default Termite-proofing redgum?

I want to build some raised veggie beds, and refer to avoid treated pine. I
thought redgum "sleepers" might be good (not actual sleepers, but the planks
about 200mm high by 75mm), but I am a bit concerned about them succumbing to
termites. Is there any non-toxic preparation I can treat them with before
putting the soil in?

Old 01-08-2006, 01:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

Hi Pat,

There is a product called graniteguard used to deter termites. Apparently
termites hate granite and will avoid it at all costs.

There is a product available from landscaping centres called granite dust,
cracker dust etc etc. Used by paving companies to put Pavers on. It is the
fines and dust left from the blue metal used in making roads. It is cheap to
buy and should do the job.

I would put down a footing that goes beyond the size of your planks/sleepers
and then lay them on top in the centre.

Creosote is another thing used but is messy to deal with and contains a few
nasties. Not so crash hot around veges.

Sold here in WA is a product celled Termimesh. Is a stainless steel mesh
barrier of a certain micron measurement. It stops the termites from entering
because the holes are smaller diameter then the termite is. But is expensive
I would think.

I like the idea of corrugated iron rings as raised beds. Two straight sides
and the ends curved. Only 1.5-2 metres across so you can reach the middle of
the bed comfortably and as long as you like.

Cheers

Richard

Old 01-08-2006, 02:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

"loosecanon" wrote in message
Hi Pat,

There is a product called graniteguard used to deter termites. Apparently
termites hate granite and will avoid it at all costs.

Cheers

Richard

Hi, the reason the granite fines works is because it is graded (screened or
sieved) to a specific size such that the interstitial space is too small for
the termites to fit through, and the product is hard and they therefore
cannot chew through it. Typically, smaller particles of crushed rock
(dependant to a large extent upon the type of crushing equipment used) tend
to be flacky and sharp edged. Basalt, andersite or any other hard rock will
achieve the same result if of the correct size. You are creating a barrier
similar the the stainless mesh mentioned.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Another Wally" wrote in message

[...]

Brilliant! I had thought it was to do with the chemical makeup but that is
so logical.

Cheers

Richard

Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day pat,

you don't say where you are from but if the red gum you talk of is the
same as waht we call qld blue gum then it is pretty much termite proof
itself once the sap has dried out of it, and using it as edging it
will last a long time, me i would go for the sleeper size wood in 6
meter lengths it is self supporting and will take a whole lot longer
to begin to break down, we had some still going strong after 8 years
on the ground.

an easier to way to ensure protection maybe would be to get that
aussie made timber/metal protector made from wool greas (lanolin) it
has a good reputation, and a wide application of uses around the home.

like i said i wouldn't worry about the termites too much there is
bound to be easeir stuff for them to chew on around the place.

you can get the timber kiln dried pay a bit extra but that will remove
sap moisture from the wood and minimise shrinkage.

that termite granite barriere needs to be compacted for it to work,
you would also be looking at creating a 300mm x 300mm barrier under
the area the timber is being used, much the same with cracker dust,
and they both work better in dry zone areas, so not sure that they
would be as effective in a wet zone area?

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 21:17:27 +1000, "Pat" wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com

Old 02-08-2006, 08:59 AM posted to aus.gardens
Pat Pat is offline

Thanks chaps. I had planned to put the supporting short posts in concrete,
and have the edges of the "sleepers" on shallow concrete footings, but then
I thought "Doh" - the veggie bed will be, oddly enough, full of soil
anyway, so the little critters will be able to tunnel under any footings and
nibble on my sleepers without too much troble. I think I'll just construct
them anyway, and if they last 8 or 10 years, that'll do me, and then I'll
make some more!

Old 02-08-2006, 11:01 AM posted to aus.gardens
APR APR is offline

"Pat" wrote in message
I want to build some raised veggie beds, and refer to avoid treated pine.
I thought redgum "sleepers" might be good (not actual sleepers, but the
planks about 200mm high by 75mm), but I am a bit concerned about them
succumbing to termites. Is there any non-toxic preparation I can treat
them with before putting the soil in?

Pat, one thing you might look at is knocking up a bit of formwork to allow
you to make concrete sleepers. A section 1m long x 10cm wide and 20cm high
will weigh approx 50kg (concrete 2500kg m^3 approx)

Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Pat" wrote in message
I want to build some raised veggie beds, and refer to avoid treated pine.

thought redgum "sleepers" might be good (not actual sleepers, but the

planks
about 200mm high by 75mm), but I am a bit concerned about them succumbing

termites. Is there any non-toxic preparation I can treat them with before
putting the soil in?

Redgum may (or may not) be fine I don't have time to look it up. However
there are eucalypts that are highly termite resistant in the ground. Around
here, which is a termite area (provided they are of the correct species)
fence posts last about 30-40 years.

I think you would be better off getting the right timber and forget about
treating it in some way. Timber is graded according to its durability, ask
your local fencer, quality timber merchant or forestry. You need to find
out what is available in your area of the appropriate grade.

David

Old 07-08-2006, 01:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

Pat wrote:
I want to build some raised veggie beds, and refer to avoid treated pine. I
thought redgum "sleepers" might be good (not actual sleepers, but the planks
about 200mm high by 75mm), but I am a bit concerned about them succumbing to
termites. Is there any non-toxic preparation I can treat them with before
putting the soil in?

No.
All you can do is put them up and see what happens. Our original raised
garden bed was sawn "sleepers", which only took the termites 5 years to
hollow out 50% of the timber. It looked funny with bowed walls. The
planks they didn't touch are still untouched years later.

Since then, I've always used real railway sleepers, which after ten
years have shown no sign of termite attack.

If "redgum" is one of the woods that are acceptable for railway
sleepers, then it should be okay for raised garden beds.

If you decide to buy real railway sleepers, either buy a bulk load and
get lots of firewood, or try to pick matched sizes.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

We live on the edge of the NSW tablelands and have just built our
raised beds. According to the size of the beds you want - and if you
use the "no dig" method with hardly any soil, then you don't need 75mm
thick timber. We built boxes which are 3.6m by 1.2m by 300mm high,
using tallow wood planks 150mm by 25mm, screwed to battens and lined
with balck plastic on the inside. More than strong enough - and
termites don't like tallow wood. The other trick is to find some black
ant nests and transfer them close to your vegie beds. They won't harm
your vegies and they are reputed to destroy termites - neat biological
control.

If you really need to coat them with anything - there is now the new,
approved and environmentally safe version of the old Creosote,
available from Diggers of WA - but it costs three times as much.

Regards
Thedoc

Old 09-08-2006, 04:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Thedoc" wrote in message termites don't like
tallow wood. The other trick is to find some black
ant nests and transfer them close to your vegie beds. They won't harm
your vegies and they are reputed to destroy termites - neat biological
control.

And the black ants swarming over your beds on a nice day will really keep
you junping, no chance of dozing and doing something silly in the plot when
you have black ants.

David

Old 10-08-2006, 08:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Thedoc" wrote in message termites don't like
tallow wood. The other trick is to find some black
ant nests and transfer them close to your vegie beds. They won't harm
your vegies and they are reputed to destroy termites - neat biological
control.

And the black ants swarming over your beds on a nice day will really keep
you junping, no chance of dozing and doing something silly in the plot when
you have black ants.

David

nor green ones either ;-}
Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
ushere wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Thedoc" wrote in message termites
don't like tallow wood. The other trick is to find some black

ant nests and transfer them close to your vegie beds. They
won't harm your vegies and they are reputed to destroy termites
- neat biological control.

And the black ants swarming over your beds on a nice day will
really keep you junping, no chance of dozing and doing something
silly in the plot when you have black ants.

David

nor green ones either ;-}

To bad our ant eaters are useless. But an african anteater could
clean up. Wonder if we should import a few for his garden..?

and no doubt, they too would be invading sydney and brisbane before the
cane toads reached there - mind you, they'd be a prettier sight than the
toads
Old 12-08-2006, 08:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
ushere wrote:
Jonno wrote:

ushere wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Thedoc" wrote in message termites
don't like tallow wood. The other trick is to find some black

ant nests and transfer them close to your vegie beds. They
won't harm your vegies and they are reputed to destroy termites
- neat biological control.

And the black ants swarming over your beds on a nice day will
really keep you junping, no chance of dozing and doing something
silly in the plot when you have black ants.

David

nor green ones either ;-}
To bad our ant eaters are useless. But an african anteater could
clean up. Wonder if we should import a few for his garden..?

and no doubt, they too would be invading sydney and brisbane before the
cane toads reached there - mind you, they'd be a prettier sight than the
toads

Yeah and useful too. Get the Red ants as well?
Black ants, red ants, green ants and white ants. What a colour parade.
Any more?

that would depend on what pharmaceuticals you'd been taking :-}
Old 12-08-2006, 02:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:

Yeah and useful too. Get the Red ants as well?
Black ants, red ants, green ants and white ants. What a colour parade.
Any more?

Bull.

Save the last ants for me!

Termite or flying ant? Guv Bob[_2_] Lawns 0 17-09-2012 04:59 PM
Poisoning termite nest terryc Australia 28 17-08-2008 06:07 AM
That Termite Question Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 4 26-01-2007 02:27 PM
Termite Advice TLR Texas 2 20-12-2006 02:43 PM
Where can I buy termite poisons in Qld? ling Australia 3 20-07-2003 09:32 AM