Old 22-11-2006, 09:42 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default First Good Freeze

I got down to 29 degrees in my backyard Tuesday morning. This was my first
real freeze. I have had frost on the roof a couple of times but it did
little damage. The 29 degrees did moderate damage to just about everything
tender. I live in Southwest Round Rock in a low spot so I am ususally
several degrees cooler than most Austin forcasted temps. I am curious if
others may have had a freeze and the weather forecasters are just getting it
wrong.

Cheers

JEM

Old 22-11-2006, 11:39 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:42:04 GMT, "Jim Marrs"
wrote:

I got down to 29 degrees in my backyard Tuesday morning. This was my first
real freeze. I have had frost on the roof a couple of times but it did
little damage. The 29 degrees did moderate damage to just about everything
tender. I live in Southwest Round Rock in a low spot so I am ususally
several degrees cooler than most Austin forcasted temps. I am curious if
others may have had a freeze and the weather forecasters are just getting it
wrong.

Cheers

JEM

I'm near the Dell Diamond and we've had light frost. The plants which
got clipped are my brugmansia's and datura's. I should have had the
greenhouse up by now, so my bad.
Old 23-11-2006, 01:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Jim Marrs" wrote in message
I got down to 29 degrees in my backyard Tuesday morning. This was my first
real freeze. I have had frost on the roof a couple of times but it did
little damage. The 29 degrees did moderate damage to just about everything
tender. I live in Southwest Round Rock in a low spot so I am ususally
several degrees cooler than most Austin forcasted temps. I am curious if
others may have had a freeze and the weather forecasters are just getting
it wrong.

Cheers

JEM

5 miles west of Wimberley. Usually a couple of degrees cooler out here than
Wimberley proper in the a.m. Definite frost Tuesday morning.

The morning low is due to loss of heat from the prior daylight. More
radical in less populated or non-industrialized areas. Lack of wind
exaggerates this difference. Wind makes temperature changes more uniform.
Wind itself creates some heat as well.
--
Jonny