Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed Redux. Zoysia?

OK, I asked about this last year, but there didn't seem to be any
consensus.

I have a mostly shaded back yard that my 85 pound golden retriever
occasionally romps around in, which has slowly been wearing away the
St. Augestine that was there. I would like a more durable grass to
plant there, with the following desired attributes (in order):

Durability
Thrives in Shade
Drought-Resistant

I've been looking at various Zoysia grasses. I tried some seeding some
Bermuda derivatives last year (Rebel III, IIRC), but it just didn't
hold up. Also, is there any place you can buy Zoysia sod now? Most of
the places I called said they weren't getting any in until April.
(There are online sellers, but I'm not sure if I want to pay the
shipping charge, and I would like to go with sod rather than plugs if
at all possible.)

Any advice?

Lawrence Person

Dead grass redux [email protected] Lawns 15 18-02-2010 02:52 AM
Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed [email protected] Texas 10 06-06-2006 06:41 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Zoysia Grass Ross Lawns 7 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
Zoysia grass Ablang Gardening 4 24-02-2003 04:15 PM