Old 23-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Ablang

Default Zoysia grass

Anyone heard of it? Is it worth buying (better than sod)?

http://zoysiafarms.com

Reply by Usenet Newsgroups only.
Old 23-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Tim B

What USDA zone are you in?

In 6A Zoyia grass is only green for the first part of the summer. It browns
out completely in mid-late summer and stays brown until late spring. It
requires really short mowing, shorter than lots of rotary mowers will mow.
It is extremely hard to kill out of your yard once it intrudes over from
your neighbor's yard unless you use Roundup and kill out that entire part of
the yard. Then it comes over into your yard again later.

It would be worth considering in some specific warm parts of the country.
For my zone, turf type fescues are a much better choice, particularly
Crossfire 2 which doesn't grow tall or quickly, is nice and green and
drought tolerant.
http://www.pickseed.com/english/turf/crossfire.htm

IMHO the seed catalogs that sell Zoysia grass without any warnings are in
the same category as the ones that sell "5 fruits off of one tree" trees and
"grow 10 feet in one year" trees without any warnings.

Old 23-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Dwayne

My cousin has it in her yard in Arkansas (zone 7), and really loves it. It
has to be mowed regular, but I don't remember ever seeing them water it. It
looks beautiful all year and feels like a carpet when you walk across the
yard. Dwayne

Old 23-02-2003, 04:51 PM
animaux

It's a nice turf, but it takes forever to fill in from plugs. I would ONLY say
to buy it in sod form. Research the varieties for what you need.

Old 24-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Vox Humana

"Ablang" wrote in message
Anyone heard of it? Is it worth buying (better than sod)?

Over rated for cold climate areas where it looks bad most of the year. As
stated, plugs take a long time to establish, so your yard looks bad for a
long time. It can be hard to mow if it gets long. It does have some insect
pests. I would say that if it isn't common in your area, there is a reason.
I grew up in a home with zoysia (zone 5b) and I wouldn't recommend it. My
parents finally had it removed and started over. If you do a google search
of this newsgroup, you will find several discussions that should lay out the
pros and cons of zoysia grass.

[IMG] code is On

Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed Redux. Zoysia? [email protected] Texas 20 06-03-2007 04:00 PM
Amazoy (Zoysia) grass anyone? Ablang Gardening 16 21-03-2004 05:32 PM
Zoysia Grass Nathan staples Lawns 5 14-06-2003 11:45 AM
Zoysia vs Bermuda grass Clem Gardening 2 06-06-2003 06:32 PM
Zoysia Grass Ross Lawns 7 05-05-2003 10:56 PM